Chapter 8 Mason

The half-term has begun. After school on Friday, I go to the Haagen-Dazs café in town with Josh and Naira.

We hang out after school on Friday most of the time.

"What did you get?" I ask as we wait for our desserts.

"We're sharing 3 scoops of caramel ice cream with waffles and loads of melted caramel drizzled on top." Naira answers, licking her lips.

"You guys are obsessed with caramel!" I say with a grin.

"We got extra caramel." We laugh, the waitress places the gigantic dessert in front of them and I can literally see them dribbling.

The waitress gives me the Neapolitan strawberry vanilla milkshake I'd ordered.

"Can I have some?" Naira asks, giving me 'the irresistible look'. I don't seem to be able to refuse so I let her have a sip.

"You're a greedy pig."

"So, I am!" She giggles and passes me back the cup.

There is a pause while we're relishing the sweetness of our desserts.

"Should we do something this weekend? To celebrate the start of the half-term? Just us three?" Naira says, looking particularly at Josh, I know what she's getting at.

"Yeah, we could hang out at one of our places." I reply, giving her a wink.

Josh looks up from the waffle he's eating, "We could do bowling at mine after working on the Geography project." He offers and gets back to eating the last waffle.

"Sounds good." Naira tries stealing the waffle and succeeds, leaving Josh devastated.

"Hey! I was eating that!" He wines. Trying to get the waffle back.

"So what?" She smirks, stuffing the remainders into her mouth.

Josh crosses his arms and frowns; he looks like a toddler having a tantrum. Naira's face softens.

"Aww! Joshie here is sad! Let's give him a BIG HUG!" she giggles and envelops him in a hug. She's not as big as him in size so you can still see his face, he's blushing.

֍

Josh has been picked up, Naira and I walk to my house because her mum thinks she's there studying with me.

I open the door with my keys.

"Your house still smells of burnt marshmallows!" she laughs as soon as the door is open.

"Would you like to make more?" I laugh, it's an inside joke.

A few weeks ago, we tried roasting marshmallows with a frying pan. Not only did we ruin the frying pan, but FluffyPuff (the dog) knocked the whole thing onto the floor, causing the over melted marshmallow to stick on one particular tile in the kitchen. We had the change the tile.

Naira rolls her eyes, "Race you!"

She leaps up the stairs with speed and I run after her.

She's a hard person to catch, when she gets into my bedroom, she hops onto the bed face first. I jump on next to her and we have a tickle fight.

"I-I-I- surrender!" she shrieks with laughter. She has tears rolling down her cheeks and I have tears in my eyes. We're both out of breath and we stay there lying on our backs, staring at the ceiling for a while, until the doorbell breaks our silence.

"That's my mum." She says sitting up.

"I know." I say, walking towards the door.

We walk down the stairs.