Chapter 7 Naira

I'm walking to my locker on Thursday afternoon when I see Josh there, waiting for me.

"Hey!" I greet, while trying to unlock the stupid lock.

"Hi!" he replies, he looks a bit nervous about something.

I start banging the lock on my locker door, the damn thing won't budge.

It's a bit embarrassing doing this in front of the hottest boy in the school, – hottest in my opinion - but what else could I do.

"Do you need help with that?" He asks.

"Oh, no, I'm fine." I'm obviously not – I'm just on the edge of looking sane.

By the stares I'm getting from people walking past I know I really look like a maniac.

"Are you sure?" He reaches for the lock.

"You can try, but it probably won't work," I lean closer to his ear. "the password is 0205."

He re-does the code and magically, he unlocks it.

"Done!" He twists his lips into a smug smile.

I roll my eyes. "The door isn't open yet, is it."

He tries yanking the door open but it doesn't work. He shakes his hands for a moment so I decide to have a go.

I reach towards the door and at the same moment Josh does. My hands land on the door of the locker and so does Josh's – not on the locker door, but on my hands.

An electric shock travels down to my toes, it's not any old electric shock that you can get from a handrail. A spark lights every part of me making my stomach flip – don't worry, it's not literally, there's no need to call an ambulance.

We immediately pull our hands back to our sides due to the shock of the sudden contact.

I can see his face turning pink and can feel my cheeks warming.

We just stand there for what seems like forever.

Charlotte walks up to us with a questioning look.

"What is wrong with you two. You, statues now, eh?" she jokes.

"Actually, Charlotte, we were just trying to open my locker door. Would you like to help?" I shoot back at her while putting on an exaggerated smile.

"Sure." She pulls the door open swiftly, leaving Josh and I bewildered. "Bye guys!" she blows a sarcastic kiss and continues on her journey.

"I came here to ask you if you would like to work on the project at mine today." He says as soon as the amazing Charlotte is gone.

"Oh, ok." I pause. "You mean right now?"

"Yeah, if that's fine with you."

"I'll just ask my mum." I reply, knowing mum would definitely say yes to discussing assignments.

We walk out of school together.

I text mum to say I'm going to a friend's house, but I don't mention that the friend is Josh.

Josh leads the way to a black Mercedes.

He opens the car door for me in a gentlemanly way. I step in. He closes the door firmly shut and walks to the other side of the car.

The driver is a guy with a bald patch and sunglasses.

"What do your parents do?" I try to start a conversation.

"They are both business people. What about yours?" He answers, moving his gaze from out the window.

"My mum is a university professor and dad's retired." I reply, looking into his hazel eyes.