New Year's Rough Start

Hermione woke up early that last day of 2003. Her first move was to go to the window to smell that fresh air snow brought with it. The bushy haired girl headed to the kitchen to start on the last breakfast of the year going through her busy schedule for the day. 

Traditionally, the Ministry of Magic threw a New Year’s party every year since the end of the second wizarding war for all their employees and respective dates. It was Hermione and Ron’s first party as a married couple. She and Ginny had appointments at a muggle hair salon, also part of their own traditions, in an hour. While they were at it, Ron was supposed to go to Grimmauld Place to hang out with Harry and also for them to discuss some political Ministry business, since they were to assume their new posts at the Auror Office on the first monday of the year. 

Ron was already awake and devouring his eggs and bacon, when they heard the unmistakeable owl’s knock on their kitchen window. Hermione got up and went to the little chocolate brown owl to let her in and took the note from its leg.

“Hey Pandora, what are you doing here?” The girl caressed the animal before opening the note. She was eagerly reading whatever it was Harry or Ginny had to say they couldn’t just floo-call them on the fire. But as she read, Hermione went pale and her eyes went blurry with her tears. 

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Ron asked as he took the letter from her hands and started to read what it said. “Oh my God!” He exclaimed a couple of minutes later.  

~

Ginny tossed and turned in bed before she finally gave up trying to go to sleep again. She was too excited. The Ministry’s New Year’s party was the event of the year and she wasn’t ashamed to say she was on her toes to show off her baby bump. Ginny also just couldn’t wait for her friends and husband’s co-workers call her Mrs. Potter. She just smiled every time she heard it, even though she had been married for well over a year. The redhead sat up on the bed, thinking of her arrangements for the day. Fleur would take Mrs. Tonks and Teddy for their own little celebration on the Shell Cottage, leaving Harry and Ginny by themselves the whole evening and night.

Harry opened his eyes beaming from joy when he noticed his wife was already awake by his side. He wrapped his arm on her waist and kissed softy her belly whispering good morning to the baby and then sitting up to kiss Ginny. 

“Good morning, love. Sleep well?” she asked after the kiss.

“Not really.” Harry answered shaking his head. “You didn’t let me. Why couldn’t sleep? Too excited, again?” he asked, already knowing the reason. This party was Ginny’s favorite social call after their annual get-together party they held just after the war’s anniversaries.  

The woman stood a little blushed and guilty from keeping Harry from a good night sleep. Harry grinned to her, holding her near for another kiss, soon making her forget whatever she was worried or thinking before he woke up. While they were on a very enjoyable snog session, the couple heard a huge cry coming from upstairs. Harry stood on his feet in a split second, holding his wand out. As Ginny got up and searched for her own wand, Harry’s first move was to check Teddy’s room across the hall. It was empty. 

He and Ginny climbed the stairs to the other floor to find Mrs. Tonks’s door open. They got in only to find out Teddy crying and shaking his grandmother trying to wake her up. The couple glanced at each other before, without exchanging any words, acting to what they were thinking. Ginny went to Teddy’s aid and picked him up, taking him back to his room to calm him down before she said anything wrong. Harry waited her to be out of the room before calling Flory out and checking if his thoughts were correct.