53

Friday morning.

I got out of my car, still tired and grumpy. My thoughts still incredibly heavy and weighing on my heart.

I was anxious, primarily because I knew I was going to see Athena today in class. I had to talk to her no matter how painful and scary it may be. I can't just let her slip away from me — at least not without a fight.

We had feelings for each other. We reached so many different levels with each other. Levels that I didn't even come close to with Willow or anyone else. She wouldn't have said yes to being my girlfriend if she didn't care about me as much as I do her. She wouldn't say yes to just shut me up.

Athena didn't get herself into situations like that. She was always clear about what she wanted. And she was clear that she wanted me. Everything's she's ever done for me ... I shouldn't be doubting us like this.

But I'm trusting my gut feeling. I can't ignore it.

"Hey," Tommy said when he noticed me walking up to him. "Feeling better today?"

"Sure," I shrugged. "I just need to talk to Athena."

Tommy placed a hand on my shoulder, "It's gonna be alright. There's been a lot going for both of you. That doesn't mean she doesn't wanna be with you anymore."

I moved his hand off and shook my head, "Let's not talk about this in the middle of the hall."

"No one knows who we're talking about, it's chill," He replied.

"Maybe I don't want to talk about it. Ever thought of that?"

He rolled his eyes, "You never want to talk about anything, what's new? How's the new scar looking?"

"It's alright," I answered. "Barely hurts anymore. I'll be getting the stitches off soon. Then we can really see my new scar."

"And therapy?"

I shrugged, "Don't really know. The guy sounds like he knows what he's doing. Right now he's just evaluating me."

"So fun. Well, hopefully, it works out."

"Yeah ..."

My mind drifted back off to Athena. For my first class, she was all I could think about. All of my favorite memories with her replaying in my head. All of those powerful emotions ... I could feel them still, swimming inside of my heart as if I experienced them for the first time.

Why did I have to be such a screw up? All of this is my fault. This stupid disorder made things weird. This stupid accident. I know it did.

I apologized to her already, but I felt like I owed her another. It seems saying sorry is the only thing I'm good at.

The time came for Economics. I took a deep breath before walking through the doorway. Athena wasn't here yet, and I knew that much. Tommy was already sitting in his seat, shooting a wave at me.

I was too busy in my own head that I didn't realize Oliver was walking up to me. He didn't have his usual faux hawk. His hair was flat, coming together in a weird point down his forehead.

"Move," I grumbled.

He smirked, "You've been pretty distant lately, Nova. Ms. Frost keeping you in check?"