46

"I asked her to move in with me," I said to Tommy, who was now staring at me like I was crazy. I finally decided to fill him in about our most recent troubles.

We were in our weight lifting class, cooling off from the small group workout we participated in.

"Um, what?"

I shook my head, disagreeing with his tone, "It didn't sound like a bad idea at the moment. It still doesn't."

"You don't even know her,"

"What? Yes, I do. I know more about her family now. I know about what she likes and doesn't like. How she feels about politics — her beliefs. I even know her ex for fucks sake," I rolled my eyes at the thought of Jason.

"Yeah, but you're not even in a relationship."

"Well, I didn't know you had to follow the playbook of relationships play by play," I responded sarcastically. "I'm just doing what I think would work."

He shook his head and wiped the sweat from his forehead with his towel, "You can't blame her for not knowing what she wants to do. That's a huge commitment. You must really love her if you're already trying to get her to run away with you."

"What? No. I don't love her," I said quickly.

He looked unimpressed with me, "You don't love her? Really?"

"I mean I care about her a lot. I'm trying to set up a possible future environment that allows us to ... have a better chance with each other. There's nothing wrong with that."

"So ... moving into a house or apartment — with each other — will help your chances with her?"

"Yes," I hissed.

"But you don't love her?"

"No."

"So you'd move in with someone you don't love? Just to have a better chance with them?" He placed his hands on his hips and smirked, "You are so oblivious."

"I asked for advice not your fucking judgment," I tossed my towel at him and walked away, frustrated and annoyed.

"Nova!"

"Wait—"

"I'm sorry!"

I picked up my bag off the ground and walked out of the small gym, ignoring him.

It's been two weeks since the incident — just concluding the first month of this semester and what a bang it was. The adjustment period for Athena didn't last very long as things went back to normal, well, as we knew it.

People had found out what teacher it was. The news wasn't shocking, mostly because I didn't know the guy and I never had him either.

I did notice that some of my teachers were a lot more distant from their students. It makes me question how innocent they really are. Either that or they just wanted to stay out of trouble. The less eyes on you the better. I could relate to that completely.

Athena and I stood true to cutting down our time together during our lunch period. It sucked and it was boring, but she felt safer and got extra work done sooner. I guess there was some benefit for at least one of us.

I was on my way to the girl's bathroom. The halls were vacant for the most part. I couldn't wait to get home and shower. Only twenty more minutes before the final bell rings for seniors.

"Just the person I wanted to get alone."

I looked up to see Oliver with a white bathroom pass in his hand. He was wearing shorts today and this dark blue long sleeve shirt. His hair spiked up in his usual faux hawk.