14

My mouth ran dry and my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. I didn't try to speak, I couldn't. Somehow a part of me had expected this, while the rest of me sat in total shock.

"Dawn, look at me," his voice echoed in my ears. I continued to stare at my lap.

"Dawn," he said. I felt soft fingertips brush my jaw and push my head up gently, allowing me to see Hayden kneeling in front of me. "Say something."

"I... Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Because then I would've had to tell you everything, and I didn't think you were ready for it," he said softly, staring into my eyes.

"But I... I could have..."

"I'm sorry. I needed you to like me, otherwise you would've pushed me away."

I moved away from his hand, "How do you know that?"

"Because you've been forcing me to go out with Caitlyn," he chuckled, making me blush ashamedly. "Who," he added, "I really don't like."

"That's my best friend you're talking about," I pointed out.

"To be honest, I don't care. I only care about you."

"I, um..." I took a deep breath. "What does this mean?"

"It means that I'll love you forever, and make you happy for the rest of my life," he smiled. Hurt flashed in his eyes suddenly, "That is, if you want me."

I frowned sadly, "It's not that I don't want you, Hayden, it's just complicated. I can't just fall in love with you that easily."

He smirked, "Oh really?"

"What?" I asked, frowning.

He leaned forward and his lips brushed my ear, sending goosebumps exploding down my skin. "I think you already are," he whispered. My cheeks flushed beetroot.

"N-no," I insisted.

"Yes," he nodded.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes. "

"No."

"No," he mimicked.

"Yes," I blurted without realising, making him burst out laughing and grin, his face inches away from mine.

"Told you," he sang.

I reached forwards and lightly slapped his cheek, "No."

"Well then, I'll just have to make you," he grinned and scooped me up quickly, dashing upstairs. I struggled and protested but couldn't help but giggle as he sprinted down the hallway, laughing like a maniac. He stopped at a door and kicked it open, walking backwards so I couldn't see where we were.

"Hayden," I warned. I tried to look around but with the lights turned off and Hayden trying to shield me from seeing anything, I sighed and admitted defeat.

"Just put me down," I demanded.

"Ooh, using the Alpha tone. Sorry, but I'm only allowed to use that voice. Until we're mated, of course." He said it so casually, my jaw dropped.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, marvelling at how Hayden was still holding me even though we weren't moving.

"I'm the soon-to-be Alpha of this pack, Dawn. My dad's the Alpha right now, but when I turn eighteen I become Alpha."

"Alpha? Pack?"

"The Alpha is the leader of the whole pack— the pack is the community over which we rule. There are a loads of packs all over the world, and each pack has an Alpha. The Alpha gene is genetic, so there is only one Alpha family per pack," he explained. "And when we mate, you will become Luna." Luna. The word written on the drawing.