12

I gasped and went to grab at my chest, but suddenly the pain settled. Actually, it began to feel kind of nice. Waves of relaxation were washing over me, developing and building up from that one spot on my chest. I picked up the pendant of my necklace in confusion, my eyebrows furrowing when the same burning sensation spread through my fingers, before transforming into the calming tingles.

"Dawn?" Hayden asked, snapping me out of my daze. Looking up, I realised I was still gripping his wrist with my other hand. I apologised quickly and released his arm, glancing down at my chest again in bewilderment when the feeling stopped abruptly.

"What's wrong?" he whispered, leaning close so the others wouldn't hear.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and shook my head, "Nothing."

Obviously not believing me, Hayden focused back on the girls and cleared his throat, causing them to raise their eyebrows at him expectantly. "I just remembered that Mr. Green wanted Dawn and I to go and let him know how I'm doing— we'll be back in a few," he lied.

"Okay, sure. See you in a minute," Indie replied instantly. I was surprised; I thought the girls would ask questions. Hayden gestured for me to follow him outside to a grassy patch with lots of picnic benches— it was now deserted because it was too cold to eat outside.

"Now, tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing!" I insisted.

"Dawn, I'm not an idiot. Tell me."

"I don't know...I just got a weird feeling in my chest."

"Not having a heart attack, are you?" he teased.

I rolled my eyes, "I'm probably just being stupid. It's not a big deal." I turned around, heading back inside: it was freezing out here and I didn't have my jacket. Hayden grabbed my shoulder and spun me back around to face him, and I felt it again, the weird feeling in my chest.

Hayden noticed my gaze at my necklace, "What?"

"I can feel it now, it's really...strange," I breathed. Hayden removed his hand from my shoulder and crossed his arms. My head shot up, "And now it's gone."

"Whenever I touch you, huh?" he smirked.

"Hayden, you don't understand! It's not like that- it's not coming from me! It's coming from my necklace!" I cried, exasperated. I was becoming frustrated; I didn't enjoy being in the dark.

He frowned, "What the hell do you mean?"

"I mean that whenever you touch me, this pendant does something to my skin— it feels like it's burning me until it starts giving off this nice sensation," I explained as best as I could.

"Dawn, that makes no sense."

"I know, Hayden! Don't you think I know that?" I grumbled.

"Well why haven't we noticed this before?"

I thought about it. After a moment, I realised that this was the first time I'd worn the necklace around him. Usually I didn't bother with jewellery when we hung out because we always ended up play fighting or doing doing something messy, like baking or gardening with Jackie, so I tended to avoid wearing things I wouldn't want ruined. I hardly ever wore the necklace at school, either, because I didn't want it to be stolen or broken or something. "This is the first time I've worn it with you around," I said simply.

"Oh... Well, maybe..." he trailed off.

"What?" I urged.

"Maybe we should see what it does if I actually touch it?" I shrugged.