4

"What happened to your head?" was all I kept hearing all day at school.

I was exhausted enough considering the events of last night, but the constant badgering and interrogating was draining my energy one nosy question at a time.

"Don't worry, by next week they'll have forgotten all about it," Caitlyn assured me.

"Right," I said sarcastically. As long as the scar on my forehead stayed visible, the questions would just keep on coming. I was seriously considering getting a fringe.

"Well it's not exactly negative attention," Amy offered hopefully.

Macy rolled her eyes and pushed her way forward to stand next to me. "Seriously, you guys aren't getting it. Dawn doesn't like any attention at all! Now that people are staring at this ugly line on her forehead, she feels like a freak!" It wasn't the most sensitive of speeches, but Macy wasn't a sensitive kind of girl. I still massively appreciated it, though.

"Thanks, Macy." She sent me a weak smile. Macy wasn't much of an affectionate person, but she cared a lot.

"Okay, well there's not much we can do about that. But you're getting the stitches out later, and tomorrow's Friday. You'll have the weekend to take care of the swelling and the redness, and after that, it will fade on its own. Plus, you can cover it with makeup. Don't worry about it," Indie said. She was right, so I nodded as we walked into Afternoon Registration.

After all our names were called, Miss Moran faced the class. "We have a new student starting on Monday. I haven't been told the details yet but I think they'll be in the year above. Nevertheless, I want you all on your nicest behaviour when Monday comes," she ordered. Our school was tiny, meaning that almost everybody knew everybody. There were only three forms per year group.

Everyone turned to each other, surprised. A new student? Who? Practically everyone knew everyone in this village. Had someone new moved in?

                                                                                          <<<>>>

After fifth period, I said goodbye to my friends and met up with Ryan, who immediately checked if I was okay. After my accident, Ryan had become protective over me, constantly concerned about my health. In a way, it brought us closer.

We found Mum's car and quickly got in, heating up our freezing bodies.

"Hi Mum," I said, kissing her on the cheek as the pulled away from the school.

When we started to make our way down the main road, heading towards the crossroads that would lead to the start of the long lane down to our house, I shifted in my seat to face Sid in the back.

"How was your day, Sid?" I asked, smiling at her.

She practically jumped to the edge of her seat and started babbling away at how she had held a fashion show at Lunch with her friends.

"Oh, and I made a new friend, too!" she squealed.

I raised an eyebrow in interest and grinned, "Who?"

"Ash, he's ten and a quarter. I told him about how I'm nine and I'm going to be ten in two weeks! He's really nice. He let me wear his baseball hat all day because he said that I'm pretty. He said he only lets pretty girls wear his hat. Am I pretty, Danny? I don't think so. I don't know. How can you tell if you're pretty? Do you just know? Ash says he lives close to us. Do you think he can come over to play with my magic tent?" I laughed quietly at Sid's jabbering and cast Mum an amused look.

"A boy? I told you not to play with boys, Sid."

I rolled my eyes at Ryan's input. He was always so protective over his baby sister. It was cute, though; he treated her like a princess.