24

Dawn

"Members of the Hunter pack," Hayden announced as we stepped up onto the small stage set up in the pack's training ground. I hung back on the steps up to the platform, whilst Hayden stood firmly in the centre of the stage. "I can't tell you how grateful I am for all of your contribution and unbelievable hard work to protect this pack and your future Luna."

The crowd cheered at Hayden's mention of me, and I could see the determination in the eyes of all of the members. On the other side of the platform, at the back, Harvey and Jackie stood proudly, watching their son with admiration. Ash stood beside them, clinging onto Sid's hand. At the sight of Sid, my heart rate spiked.

What is she doing here? She isn't supposed to be here- it's not safe!

"Dawn," Hayden beckoned me from the front of the stage. My eyes widened as he held out his hand, asking me to go to him. My eyes flickering nervously from the crowd, to Sid, and back to Hayden, I gingerly walked over to my mate. I instantly spotted Indie standing just by my feet on the ground, smiling up at me encouragingly.

The pack was silent.

"Um, hi," I started, almost kicking myself at how weak I sounded. I am going to be their Luna- I have to man up!

I took a deep breath and started again. "I- no one here knows for sure that there will be an attack today. I don't know if the prophecy is true. I don't know how the Bear Shifters are behaving right now; I don't know where they are. There have been signs that make the prophecy more likely to be true than false, but there are all kinds of factors that could mean that all of our preparation is for nothing. That the prophecy might never come true.

"I feel unbelievably guilty that I may be the cause for some of you getting hurt today. If I had a choice in the matter, I would never, ever bring any of this onto you. I don't know all of you, but I can tell you now that I truly don't want any of you to get hurt." My eyes flickered to Hayden, who was watching me carefully. "Unfortunately for you, you have a stubborn soon-to-be-Alpha who won't take no for an answer, and will do whatever he thinks is right to protect his mate."

The crowd laughed lightly.

"I just want all of you to know that I deeply respect each and everyone of you, your bravery and loyalty amazes me. Whatever happens today, please know that I will do anything to ensure that the pack is safe and cared for, with no one left behind or abandoned."

Hayden reached for my hand and squeezed it tightly, beaming at me with that jaw-dropping smile of his. I gave him a small smile, but despite the success of my speech judging by the admiring gazes of the pack, I couldn't get my mind off Sid. If she was here, she was in danger; she was safe at home with my parents and Ryan. Hayden let the pack disperse before sending me a worried look. "What's wrong?"

Instead of answering him, I pulled him over to the Harvey and Jackie who were coming towards us with Ash and Sid.

"Sid, what are you doing here?" I demanded anxiously.

She looked up at me, confused, "Mummy and Daddy brought me."

I was shocked, "What?"

"Dawn!" I heard from behind me. Spinning around, I saw my parents sprinting towards the stage and running up the steps.

Out of breath, Mum crossed the platform and gripped both my arms. I saw concern swimming in her eyes, making me struggle to breathe. Nothing could go wrong, not when it was so late in the game.

"Ryan's missing."

My heart stopped.

Did the Bear Shifters take him as a trap? Why else would he disappear?