23

Dawn

A bright light was shining beyond my eyelids, forcing me to fully wake up and take a look around. I found the curtains open and Hayden leaning over me, watching me with a content smile.

"Hey," I murmured groggily, yawning.

"Hey," he whispered back, smiling wider.

"It's Thursday," I noted.

"I know," he said.

"What time?" I asked, knowing he'd understand what I'm talking about.

"Around five-thirty," he replied. I nodded. He pecked my nose, then my lips, and rolled off of me. I smiled briefly and sat up, shielding my eyes from the bright sun. Padding over to the open window, I held my hand out and detected the suffocating heat pulsating the air outside. It thickened the air in my lungs and made it more of a task to breathe deeply, and before I knew it, sweat was beading on my forehead.

I slammed the window shut.

"What are we going to do today?" I questioned, as Hayden wrapped his arms around my waist. He kissed my neck softly, mumbling something incoherent against my skin.

"Hmm?" I hummed.

"We'll train, and we have to make an announcement to the pack. Then I'm taking you somewhere."

I turned around, raising my eyebrow questioningly.

"Somewhere we can spend quality time together." I knew that when he said 'quality time' he meant 'time we may never get back if one of us dies later on'.

"That sounds nice," I sighed, upset about the prospect of Hayden getting hurt later.

"Hey," he murmured, gently pushing my chin up to look into his hazel orbs, "don't worry. Everything will be fine."

I wish I could believe that.

"Come on," he smiled, taking my hand and leading me to the shower, where he stripped us both and lifted me into the cubicle, plunging us both under the stream of water. I sighed contentedly as he lathered me in soap, stopping me when I tried to do it for myself.

When we were done, he lifted me out of the shower and wrapped me in a fluffy white towel, working on drying me. He got on his knees and got to work on drying my legs, making me giggle. Suddenly a wave of dread hit me like a truck and my eyes started to smart. "Hayden," I whimpered.

Immediately his eyes shot up to see my worried expression and he shot up, wrapping me in his arms and rocking me against him as I wept. I didn't know what brought on this inescapable array of emotions, but it was tearing me apart. it felt like everything I felt was heightened; it was all more intense, more severe, more painful.

"Shh, Danny, I swear I will never let anything happen to you, okay? No matter where we are or what situation we are in. And I will never leave you. Ever. Even if it seems like I'm gone, I will always come back for you, okay?" Hayden vowed. I clung on to him tighter, pressing my lips to his jaw softly.

It was like we had both just realised how serious the situation was. Everyone had always ignored the Prophecy, but it felt more and more real each day.

I knew who would be coming for Sid and I, I wasn't clueless. But it seemed like, despite everything, Hayden or I saying it aloud would make it real, like we'd finally have to face it and accept it. It hurt too much.

But it was time to face the facts. "Do you think Jason knows what he's going to do? Or is he just influenced by Dylan?" I asked softly.

Hayden stilled for a moment, then breathed out a long, steady breath. "I don't know. Either way, it's not good. If he's thinking for himself, he'll be determined to take Sid. But if Dylan is pushing him to do it, then he won't back down so as to prove himself to his older brother, his idol. I know that kid."