11

Hayden

I was sitting in class, an hour after the charity run, smiling at how close I'd become to Dawn, and how happy she seemed. It made me lightheaded.

In a good way.

"Hayden," I heard someone call. Snapping out of my daze, I searched around for the owner of the voice. My eyes landed on a person leaning towards me, swivelled around in the chair just in front of me.

"Oh, hi Caitlyn," I replied, still grinning sheepishly to myself.

"You look happy," she commented.

"That's because I am."

"How come?"

"Can't a guy be happy these days?"

She laughed, "Nope. It's not allowed anymore, haven't you heard?"

"I had no idea!" I exclaimed in fake shock.

"Yep. Have to be miserable from now on."

I winked, "Well, I've always been a rule breaker."

"I can tell," she giggled. My mind snapped to Dawn's encouragement to ask Caitlyn out on a date. I didn't want to, not at all. But maybe if I did, Dawn would become jealous and realise how she felt towards me. I considered it. One date couldn't hurt, could it? It'd be enough to make Dawn envious, but short enough that I could end it quickly with Caitlyn, no questions asked— because it was only one date.

"Caitlyn," I started, slightly cringing as my wolf snapped harshly at me for looking at a girl who wasn't our mate. "Do you want to go on a date with me?"

"That depends," she replied.

I raised my eyebrows, "On?"

"On if you're asking me out because you want to, or because Dawn's forcing you to," she stated.

"Okay," I formed my words slowly, figuring out what to say, "I admit that Dawn did have some influence on me asking you out-"

"I thought so-"

"But, only because she told me that you kind of like me, and I wasn't sure if you did," I finished.

She looked surprised and happy simultaneously, "...Oh."

I laughed, "Yeah, so you should be thanking her."

"Thanking her? What if I don't want to go out with you?" she challenged.

I shrugged, "Well then I guess I'd have to eat all those Reese's Pieces by myself..." I could see her resolve weakening at my hint.

"Oh, but you're fat enough already," she teased.

"Then I'll need you to stop me from eating them all alone," I said.

She rolled her eyes, "Sunday?"

"Give me your address and I'll see you at two?" She handed me her phone and I copied her address into my own phone. Caitlyn beamed at me as I pretended to focus on my work.

I was really dreading Sunday.

                                                                                                           <<<>>>

Dawn

It was Lunch, and I was sitting with the girls, smiling as Sheila told us a ridiculous rumour involving a twelve-year-old and a shark.

"You know that didn't really happen," Indie commented.

Sheila looked indignant. "Who says?"

"Sheila, that rumour is as reliable as Caitlyn's last boyfriend."