☆ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ꜰɪᴠᴇ

Twenty-Five - The Princess Has Fallen

It had been a few years since the last time Anya entered the gates of Polis

It had been a few years since the last time Anya entered the gates of Polis. And while many times it would have been for regular meetings with clan representatives, a position she filled in for a few times, this time had a more somber unlining. 

The elevator dings, altering Anya the time to share the horrific news was upon her. How was someone supposed to tell others that one they cared for is dead because of her order to bring weapons instead of just bargaining for peace like it was intended? 

"Anya!" Lexa shouts from her place on her throne, "We were not expecting you! I hope the guards weren't too rough on you on the way up because of the surprise."

Anya's throat tightened when she say the upbeat and positive attitude of her commander. "Oh no, Heda. You know I can handle my own," Anya strained out. 

"So what brings you to Polis?" Lexa asks nonchalantly. 

Anya's eyes dashed from side to side. The only people in the throne room were Arthur, Leigh's teacher, Lexa, and a few guards. "Just a normal check-up, Heda. Wanted to catch you up on the events of the peace meeting with the Sky People," Anya comments. 

As Lexa approached Anya, she saw how tense she was. Anya was not telling her something. Lexa's eyes search the area behind Anya. "Where-Where is Leigh?" Lexa asks. 

"About that..." Anya starts. 

Arthur stands from his seat in the corner of the room. "Is she injured? Is she okay?" he hurries out. 

Anya shakes her head slowly, her head drooping down. Arthur swallows harshly. He knew something was going to go wrong. But Leigh could take care of herself, so why was she not here?

"Leave us!" Lexa commands the guards. Once they leave, she turns back to Anya. "Tell me where my second is! Tell me where Leigh is!" She says, her heart beating out of her chest. 

"She's dead."

At this, Arthur falls backwards into his chair, clutching his chest. Lexa's mouth falls agape and she finds herself breathing heavily. Leigh couldn't be dead. "She's-she's what?" she barely gets out. 

Anya's face is etched in a frown, guilt encasing her. Leigh wouldn't be dead if she could follow simple rules from her commander. "She's dead, Heda."

Lexa glances over to Arthur to see him bent over, holding his shaking head in his hands as his elbows rest on his knees. He cannot be strong anymore, she realizes, not when it comes to Leigh. She takes a deep breath with her eyes closed and sucks up all she has left, fighting off the tears that hide just out of reach. 

"How did she die?" Lexa wonders out loud, "Was it honorable as she would have wanted?"

Anya nods. "She died taking a bullet from one of the sky peoples' weapons. She saved my life," she explains, clearly leaving out the part where she did not follow orders.