Chapter 18

"Miss Mills, is it?" the relatively old doctor asked as he came into the room.
"Yes," Ana replied, her hands put together fingers woven into a prayer kind of way.
"I'm Dr. Hartford. Your results came back positive." Ana didn't move. She had no idea what to do or say as if she expected something more. "Congratulations Miss Mills, you are 5 weeks pregnant" the doctor continued and gave her a small smile. Ana nodded and stood up to put on her coat.
"Would you like us to discuss your options, Miss Mills?" The doctor asked seeing that she didn't quite seem happy with the results.

Ana looked at him, smiled and shook her head, "No, that won't be necessary doctor. Thank you very much,"  she said and left the examination room. As she walked outside she thought about it. No matter what, this child was a blessing. She loved children and always wanted one. She wasn't too young, she had a good job and no matter how this baby came into her life it was welcome.
She stopped in front of River Thames looking out into the city that lay ahead across the water and placed her hands on her belly and took a deep breath. "Grow well and healthy my little one. Mommy loves you" Ana whispered smiling to the growing life inside her.
She would tell him. Of course she would. It's his baby too. She smiled at the picture of Freddie holding their baby in his arms that she had painted in her head and secretely wished he would want it just as much as she wanted it. But...no matter what he chose, with or without him, this baby would be born and grow up with lots and lots of love!

The following day, Ana went to work earlier than everyone else. There were days when she enjoyed going in earlier so she could have the opportunity to play some music herself and get her head together.

Her fingers gently touched the piano keys and the room filled with a melody that had never been played before. She had heard Freddie working some parts of it at some point and the lyrics had come easily to her and decided to give it a go.

Who would have thought
You and me would become as one
I'm so sorry
Got my head in the clouds
But you spin my whole world around
I will say it out loud

You are the only one
You change my life
Funny how love can be
That's what you mean to me

That was as far as she had got. The rest of the melody echoed around the soundproof room but no words came to her.  When she finished, she breathed in and let her head fall forward. That's when she heard soft clapping and terrified that she had been discovered, she turned around to find Freddie leaning against the frame of the door, smiling. "Love the lyrics, darling" Freddie exclaimed "we should work together on this sometime."

"Um, yeah, sure..." Ana said taken by surprise but smiling nonetheless. She wasn't expecting anyone to be here this early.

Freddie noticed that although she smiled, she was distracted by something bigger, something more important.

"Darling," Freddie began as he sat next to her in front of the piano. "About last time, I'm sorry if -" but Ana didn't let him finish.

"Freddie please," she interrupted him. "It had nothing to do with what you did. It's just that...well you see..." She didn't know how to say it out loud. In her head it seemed easy but now she lost her words.

"What is it, darling? Are you ok, is it something serious?"

"Well, you can say so..." she could no longer keep it from him. She had promised herself she wouldn't chicken out no matter his reaction. Her eyes met Freddie's "I'm pregnant, Freddie." Once she had come out with it , there was no stopping her. "I will understand if you don't want it but you are jot obliged to, it's my responsibility and I promise you I will never ask for anything -"

Freddie's eyes looked at her wide open. He was surprised, elated, scared, anxious, and a million other things. But most of all, he was elated! He had always wanted children and ever since she had come into his life, he secretly wished the day would come when they had a family of their own.

"Ana, sweetheart, please. There's nothing more I want than having a child with you." Freddie said tears pooling in his beautiful brown eyes, making Ana relieved and happy. "I know it's not the perfect place for me to do that but let me ask you what I intended to ask you that night." Freddie paused for a minute and got up, knelt down in front of her taking her hands in his and smiled.

"My darling, ever since we met it felt as if we were meant to be. Every day that goes by, that feeling gets stronger. You mean the world to me, Ana, and I want us to be together for life, a family, complete with kids and everything else that comes with it." Ana listened intently, holding on to every word he said. She wanted to yell it out that yes, she wanted all that with him and then some but she also wanted to let him finish, she wanted him to have that moment with her. "So, I guess, this is where I ask ... Ana, darling, will you marry me?" Freddie finally asked with eyes full of hope and happiness.

"Of course I will!" Ana exclaimed and fell into Freddie's arms, who pulled a beautiful diamond ring from his pocket and placed it on her finger, kissing her passionately with si much affection and pure love that the world had yet to see.

There, in the quiet of the dawn, on a rainy cold day, Ana and Freddie started their life together as a family.

"I want to marry you as soon as possible, darling," Freddie then said. "I don't want to wait any longer."

"Me neither," Ana agreed smiling..

"How soon can you get a dress?"

-----

Author's note:

The song that I'm referring to can be found here:
https://youtu.be/kfv-Jnl9g_M