Chapter 5

Freddie ran after Ana across the studio hallway. He saw her enter a room and slamming the door behind her. When he finally reached the door, he stood there motionless for a minute. He could hear her crying, now almost unable to breathe and his heart was broken. He knocked on the door gently but he got no reply. Just her tears. He opened it and saw her on the floor, hugging her knees close to her chest, her head buried inside her arms.
He kneeled down next to her, his hand on her back gently moving it up and down.
"What's wrong, darling?" he softly whispered, not really expecting a reply. He just wanted to be there for her. She said nothing to him, how could she anyway? What would she say? It didn't matter now. The damage had been done.
The tears flowed freely from her eyes down her cheek. She felt sick. She couldn't take it any longer. He breath was caught with every new tear she shed. How could he have done this to her? It had been over! It had been months! Why now? Why her? She felt restless and yet she couldn't move. But Freddie's hand on her kept her warm. That's when she realized that he was there for her. He was holding her close, whispering to her every now and then that whatever was wrong would be ok soon.
With one swift motion, Ana turned to him and put her arms around him. The hug took him by surprise but he welcomed it. He held her close as she was now almost on his lap. Her crying had died down and he placed his fingers under her chin pulling gently her face up to him. That's when he saw it. Her right eye black, her upper lip cut, her cheeks wet with tears. Fear coursed through his body. It didn't take him long to figure what had happened. His fingers lightly touched her face as she tried to hide it away from him.
"No, don't shy away from me, angel", he said and his eyes travelled on her face. "Who did this to you?"
"Freddie.." was all she could say.
The dream had come true. She was calling for him, and he wasn't there. It was too soon for any kind of feeling to arise and yet, here they were. As if it was pre-written for them.
"No my angel," Freddie whispered "you don't deserve this"
Her eyes brimmed with fresh tears but Freddie took her in his arms again and held her close. His cologne made her feel stronger. In his arms she felt safe. There was something about him that felt right. That's where she belonged.
She looked up to face him and softly smiled.
"Thank you," she said
"Angel, my darling angel, I don't know exactly what happened to you, but no one should treat a girl this way and you don't deserve this, darling. Know that I'm here for you now, no matter what. I'm not leaving your side, angel."
His words filled her heart with so much joy and love that for a moment all her worries melted away. She bit her lip and smiled at him,
"Freddie, why do you call me angel?"
"Because you look like one my darling," he smiled back at her. For a moment, looking at each other's eyes, everything seemed to fall into place, time had stopped... until there was a knock on the door. Ana moved away from Freddie's lap and wiped her red eyes looking away. "Come in," she called and the door opened slightly and the head of one of the other technicians appeared. "Excuse me, Ana, your cousin, Mike is on the phone" he said and as Ana nodded he disappeared again.
"I've got to take this," she said looking at Freddie and got up.
"Of course, my darling," he replied and opened the door for her.
"I'll see you back at the studio, ok?"
"Yes, Angel" he smiled at her and put her hand on her waist. "Oh, darling..."
"Yes, Freddie?"
"I'm here for you, angel"

***
Ana picked up the phone and was met with Mike's angry voice on the other end of the line.
"Mike, please, calm down... Yes, I know... I have no idea how he came in...."
Freddie was on the other side of the room and could faintly hear her talking. So someone hurt his angel, and they hurt her bad. He couldn't let this slide. He felt his blood boil.
"No Mike, please. Don't worry. I'm fine... Yes, he is here." At that Ana's eyes met with Freddie's. "We have work to do, Mike.... I know...No, don't... I'll be ok... Bye" She hang up and walked towards the console and sat down on her chair. She turned to look at Freddie but turned away before her eyes could meet his. And he knew. She didn't have to say a word. Music was the only medicine at the moment. She nodded and placed the headphones on her head, her long brown hair falling on each side of her chest. Freddie took his place opposite her on the other side of the glass partition and put his headphones on.
Ana turned on his microphone and his voice sounded loud and clear.
"What do you want to hear, my darling?"
She gave him a half-hearted smile with her eyes closed and her head down and said, "Anythi-" she stopped abruptly and looking up she met his deep brown eyes that melted her heart and soul and almost whispered the next few words, "as long as it's your voice."
Freddie's mouth turned into a toothy smile and soon moved his lips to cover it. Still smiling he cleared his throat and began,
There's no living in my life anymore
The seas have gone dry
And the rain's stop falling
Please don't you cry any more
He smiled at her and winked
Can't you see
Listen to the breeze
Whisper to me please
Don't send me to the path of nevermore
Ana's worries faded away at the sound of his voice. He was singing for her and gave her strength. She could do anything! Overcome every fear and every obstacle. And yes, she could be his darling angel.