The best gift ever

(A/N): Is he alive or dead?

—————————————————————————

The sun filters through my eyelids. I'm shaking but I don't understand why. I can't hear very well either. I open my eyes but everything remains blurry for a while. I'm restrained by something. My ribs hurt so I try opening my eyes again. While they adjust, I realize I'm strapped to someone's back. I blink a couple of times, suddenly unsure of what's happening and then everything comes back to me. I yell in total panic:

"LEVI! LEEEEVI!"

The person in front of me sighs heavily.

"Calm the fuck down, Eren. He's right there."

I look in front of her and see Levi resting unconsciously against the horse. Following each bumps as we advance.

"Mikasa..."I mutter. "You...you saved us?"

"No. You did. I only got you out of there before the others arrived."

"The others?"

"They were a group of 4. You killed the one that was about to eat your "boyfriend"... I killed another one to get to you and then I got you on my horse with him. We're almost there. Hang tight."

I can't wait to arrive and get down this horse to check on him. I try to undo the belt that Mikasa tied around me so that I wouldn't fall but she made one hell of a knot. I can't bear being stuck to her that way. I should be with him. Even though I'm grateful that she came back for us, for both of us, this is all her fault. I feel a burst of anger flooding in my veins and suddenly I lose control. She feels me tighten my grip on the horse and turns her head on the side to check on me.

"EREN!!! CALM DOWN! CALM DOWN or you will kill us both. Me and HIM. You want to kill HIM?"

Her words aren't very soothing, but the meaning of it helps me to get back to earth. Breathe in, breathe out.

A couple of minutes later we are near the stables. I rip off the belt from around me with a new found strength. I jump down and pick up Levi from the horse.

"Wait, Eren, I'm gonna cover you up, your clothes are all ripped off. I can see..."

"I DON'T CARE..." I say while brushing her off.

I pick a fast pace while walking towards the old castle and carrying Levi in my arms.

"Wake up." I murmur. "Levi, please, wake up. Don't do this to me."

I see blood on his shirt, I am pretty sure that I can see a rib coming through it too. His eyes are closed and even though some scarlet droplets follow a trail beside his beautiful mouth, I can only pray, believe...No, I can only KNOW that he is alright. He has to be. There is a faint heartbeat so he is still alive. There is a slight chance. But...but what if it's too late?

"Heichou..."

I can't go on. Tears fall on my cheeks and a huge lump grows in my throat. Resulting into uncontrollable sobs. Everything is blurry but I try to keep a clear head. I want to remember him. I want to remember my last moments with him. The thought makes my heart ache and I suddenly feel like throwing up too. I'm close to the door but I can't, I can't walk anymore. I fall on my knees. Levi flinches as his legs hit the ground, making his whole body and ribs move. I'm holding him tight and I keep shaking my head. Mikasa comes beside me and tentatively puts her hand on my shoulder. I brush it off.

"Eren...I think...I think it's too late." She says.

I look at her with half pleading, half angry eyes and say: