shinsō hitoshi - comfort

this one tiktok video made me really want to write a short story about it.

CW: anxiety attacks

=========================

it was presentation day. the long awaited day where everyone had to showcase their personal research on their own quirks. i was dreading today.

why are we forced to stand in front of everyone to present? i hate public speaking, lest having to do it in front of the class. i'll probably end up messing up and embarrassing myself.

class was due to start in 5 minutes. i sat in my seat, shaking my legs. i couldn't stop fiddling with my fingers too. biting my lip, i kept glancing at the clock. the clock kept ticking, and i watched it, till there was only a minute left till class started.

i started breaking out in cold sweat. i was going to be the first to present today, but i really didn't want to. 30 seconds till class starts. my breathing started becoming heavier. i was feeling really lightheaded.

i couldn't take it anymore. i stood up abruptly, excusing myself from class. good thing that i sat at the back row, so that i can slipped away without many noticing. i ran along the hallway, making many sharp turns, till i reached my usual safe spot; the janitor's closet. at least nobody ever comes in here, nor does anybody know that i'm here. at least, i do hope so.

sitting down in the inner most corner of the room, i hugged my knees. i started crying, my breathing becoming extremely laboured. i couldn't handle the thought of doing a presentation in front of class. it made me sick. it made me dizzy. it was such a horrible thought.

i felt so stupid for becoming so overwhelmed by something so minor. i kept having this nagging thought in the back of mind that was telling me how everyone was going to make fun of my inability to do the presentation. this caused me to cry even harder. i buried my face deeper into my knees, hugging myself even tighter.

a few minutes has passed, when the door to the janitor's closet started opening. i was really confused, but also afraid. the only person who'd know that i was here could only be...

stepping into the enclosed space was none other than shinsou. the purple-haired boy looked really concerned. i sniffed, wiping my tears. i relaxed a little. he started approaching me, careful not to do or say anything carelessly.

though i didn't really ask him, he told me how he overheard my classmate's conversations. they were wondering why i ran out of class crying. from that, he guessed that i was likely in here. the safe space i told him about.

i watched the male kneel down in front of me, his hands meeting with mine. looking into his eyes, i hiccuped, "p-please, just help me make it stop..."

gripping my hands tighter, shinsou nodded his head. suddenly, my mind went blank. shinsou has taken control. i, in my subconscious, watched as he told me, "forget why you were ever scared. forget why you were ever anxious. from now on, you'll only have happy, good thoughts." with that, he then let go of my hands, and at the same time letting go of his control over me.

as i returned back to myself, i found that i've forgotten the reason as to why i was panicking. i didn't understand why i was in here either. i touched my wet cheeks, wiping away the tears that i couldn't remember the reason for. i smiled at the purple-head. he looked at me too, smiling slightly.

i hugged him, which caused true both of us fall backwards. initially, he was surprised, but in the end he returned the hug.

"i'm not sure for what anymore, but thank you so much." i whispered.

we lied there in silence, holding each other. i couldn't stop smiling, as i breathe in his heavenly scent.

after a few minutes, we finally let go of each other. i stood up, helping him up too. i held his hand, still staring into his purple eyes. i laughed.

"we should get back to class, shouldn't we?"

- fin -