Epilogue

I sat curled up with Arthur on the loveseat I'd bought for the apartment. It was addictively comfortable and pale blue. Perfect for the place. What was more perfect was leaning against Arthur's side while he stroked endless circles across my skin. Wearing a thin strapped dress, appropriate for the Australian summer meant, there was a lot of my skin on show. My back, shoulders and arms were bared to his touch. A touch I had missed in our weeks apart.

    'So you made it here - a huge risk I might add - what now?'

    'I couldn't wait fer ye to be allowed back to Cornwall. The distance was driving me half-mad. Not to mention the others. Much as I like that I can hear ye laugh and speech through these mobiles, I missed this part of being with ye.' His hand found my mine and our fingers looped together. Our skin looked particularly vibrant bathed in the light from the sunset. A sunset that we had first row seats for. I would be sorry to give this place up for Arthur's tenants.

    'So...what does happen now?'

    'Now ye get our story published and get the credit and riches.'

    'That's not really how authors live, but I like the optimism.' He got a peck on the cheek for his support. 'What I meant was - what do we do now that you're here? Eventually you'll have to go back to the UK or they'll come looking for you and the last thing we want is anyone digging into your past. Or the others'.'

    'Ye said equality was key. Half the year in yer home, half in mine.'

    'Neither of these places are mine but I like the sentiment of getting time in both our birthplaces. Together.' As I quite enjoyed his home, especially since it had been mine once upon a time, I thought I was getting the best deal really.

    'But this is yers.'

    'Yeah, because you're letting me crash here for a month until I hear good news back from my agent about this contract, which has happened now, or you find tenants.'

    'Nay, Ela. 'Tis yers.' He handed me a manila folder from the small bag he'd brought with him. Even less than what I'd brought with me. I sat up straighter to read through the paperwork he'd handed me. My name was there, all it needed was my signature.

    'Shit, Arthur.' I was torn between horror and nervous laughter. 'You bought me this apartment?'

    'Aye Ela.'

    'Lucky I said you had my love before you could be accused of buying it?' Excited as I was, I wouldn't take advantage of his inexperience of this new world he'd ended up in. 'Arthur, are you sure you understand what you've just given me?'

    'Aye.' He brushed a few stray strands of hair away from my face. It was very sweet as he might have helped dislodge some of them with the gusto of our greeting. 'It's yers in law so if ye ever want me gone ye can do so. If I ever harm ye again, step even the smallest toe out of line ye can bar me from these rooms. But I swear that I don't intend fer ye to need to ever do those things. I've learnt all the lessons ye've taught me.'

    'Thank you.' I clung close to his comfortable and familiar bulk, finally feeling entirely safe, complete, happy, and calm like I hadn't since I'd graduated so many months earlier.

The End