Vernal Equinox Part 2

Comincia dall'inizio

I hated it when he got like this. "Why can't I be like this? There are so many people in the world who are so much worse than me about this. Why can't people just tolerate me for once in their life?"

"They do tolerate you, Jack. There are things you do that annoy me but I ignore them. I'm not going to ignore this, though. Everyone tolerates the little things, but this isn't little."

"That doesn't matter. People tolerate big things, too! Why can't I be like this Cupid?"

"Because you're better than that," he stated, facing me. "You're a good person, Jack. You ask why you can't act like that, but I want to ask why you do act like that when you shouldn't."

"Well...no one's ever told me I'm a good person."

"Well I'm telling it to you. You don't have to act like life is horrible for you. Let the real idiots act that way. Not you. You're better than that. You're a compassionate person, Jack, but no one realizes you are. Your best characteristics are hidden, but some people know about them, like me. So, just quit. Realize how you're actually one of the best people in this town, but don't be cocky. I mean, you're lucky. Yeah, your dad has passed away and not many people love you, but I've seen a lot of things in this world, horrible things. Compared to them, you're incredibly lucky. That's why I always get angry when people thing their life is horrible. It's not. It sucks at times, and you can be upset, but just try and realize you're still very fortunate. That's what I do."

I looked down at my blue shoes. "What have you seen?"

"Horrible things, Jack. The twins for example. People who've been tortured. You name it, I've probably seen it."

I looked up at him, understanding him a bit more than I did before. I wondered what it was like for him, having his job. He went through everyday knowing he made a mistake that ruined someone's life. He saw things that probably haunted him. Plus, his parents defeated the purpose of his existence. And yet he was still able to look past it for the sake of others. I finally realized that I would much rather control the fate of snow than the fate of every living soul.

"Sorry."

"Don't be. Just do what I keep telling you. Quit thinking about stuff. Are you deaf?"

I smiled faintly. "No. I hear you loud and clear."

"Good. Now come on."

We walked back to the barbeque and the women were up by that time so the party part of it all was starting. People danced, and of course we can all dance. I just sat by and watched Mom dance with Mo and Mr. Green and Cupid dance with Boogey's younger sister. Mary and Drake were dancing together, too, looking at each other lovingly.

"Hi," Lady said, sitting next to me.

"Hi. Where have you been?" I asked.

She sighed. "Have you ever been really oblivious?"

"Yeah. What happened?"

"Boogey tried to ask me on a date, but I didn't realize it."

"Do you like him?"

She shrugged. "Yeah, but I don't think it'll work. I'm not...you know. He'll probably realize I'm not much."

"Ask him to dance."

"What?"

"Go ask him to dance. Where is he?"

"Over there." She pointed to Boogey, who had changed his mask to a blue one that completely covered his face. He probably had to change it because his face changed since he kind of got rejected.