Afternoon

"I don't know. I guess he's not as annoying as I originally thought."

"But you two hate each other."

"To an extent."

"God it sounds like you've developed a crush on him."

I hated thinking that. I did not have a crush on Cupid. He was just...a lot different than what I originally thought. He's actually nicer and not as much of a tool. I think he thinks I'm not as bad as he thought because he's not deliberately being mean to me. We've simply developed an understanding.

"Do you?" Mary asked.

"What? Of course not. I'm not...gay."

Mary just stared at me with her signature smirk, the one that drove Drake and many other boys crazy, formed by her naturally ruby-red lips. She was one of the prettiest girls in school, and all the girls sort of had some signature style or theme. Mary's was of course blood. Her hair was blood red and wavy, going in tundrels down her back. She had creamy skin, a few freckles on her face, and brown eyes that were kind of red in the irises, too. She naturally had blood around her eyes for some reason and always wore red clothes with her very volumptuous body. She was quite desirable. Even if she wasn't "Bloody" Drake would still find her attractive, but since she was bloody it made him even more crazy since blood is like drugs to vampires. Or I guess like Viagra since blood brings their fangs out and fangs are like their penises, but her eyes drove him more nuts. She looked at me with them and just knew.

"Fine. I am, but so what? I don't like him like that. He's not gay anyway."

"How do you know?" she asked.

"It's Cupid. He's not...He's like a..."

"What? Give me a reason why he wouldn't be."

"He's dated girls before," I said, but thinking about it again I don't remember him dating any, kind of.

"Really? He hasn't deliberately dated any. He's had girls as dates, but he was required to have them as dates for certain events."

"Well...he's not a virgin."

"He likes to get his kicks. Nothing lasts."

"With girls."

"He travels around the world. He could've done it with some guys."

"Fine. If anything, he's bisexual, but it's not like he'd ever give me a chance. I'm not his type. He hates me to an extent. He's...too good for me, you know. If he likes guys he can get any guy in the world. You know his great great grandpa? He got the most beautiful woman in the world, Psyche. She was so beautiful she made people cry at how beautiful she was. The Hearts a group of beautiful people."

"And you're not beautiful?"

"No."

"And his parents are happy?"

There were a lot of rumors about Cupid's parents. The long line of the Heart family is mysterious, which I hate to admit because I said it wasn't a characteristic of him but I suppose it is. Cupid got the duty to make people fall in love when he was eleven for some reason. His dad got it when he was twelve and his grandpa got it when he was ten. That's one mystery - why they get the job passed down at different ages. Why not one specific age? Anyway, his parents go out in public, but no one really sees them together. When they are together, though, they are so...bland. You'd think someone as gorgeous as Joli Heart and someone like Cupid the 7th or...9th? or whatever he is would be loving towards one another. It's very strange. I don't even know how they fall in love. Do they feel it or what?

"I don't know. It's not my business. Speaking of parents, if he gets with a guy how is he going to continue the line of Cupids? We're not going to be together ever. It won't happen. If we're meant to be together, then it looks like everyone else will be screwed over about love because no one will be there to guide them."

"Don't think about that now. Let what happens happen. If you have a crush on him, then it might be true love, which means he might have a crush on you."

I snorted. Drake had an insane crush on her, and she didn't feel the same way. "What do you know?"

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever. At least someone is getting somewhere in love." She nodded towards Boogey and Lady, who were walking slowly together, entering the cafeteria. Lady was also extremely pretty. She had white skin, white hair, gray, sparkling eyes, and was very delicate and petite. Boogey...well, no one knows what he looks like except for the children he has to scare. Though his face actually changes appearances to what people really fear and I think he has a natural face, or at least was born with one, but since he had to take over his father's spot he had his face change and there might be times when it's normal but I've never seen him without a mask. I don't know what he would naturally look like, though. His mother is a very pretty woman. She's actually the Grim Reaper's sister, with long black dreadlocks and very chocolately skin. He's also related to Baba Yaga some how, and she was pretty, but then she changed and is crazy looking, but Father Time still thinks she's attractive. Anyway, I think Boogey and Lady would be perfect for each other because I think they're what they both need in life.

Lady must've had some place to go because she walked away and Boogey just nodded, looking like he just struck out, but Lady had no idea the way Mary had no idea.

"Hey guys," Boogey said, sitting.

"Hey," we said.

"So, not going so well with Lady, huh?" Mary asked.

"No."

"She's so oblivious."

"Look who's talking."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"Boogey," I elbowed him.

"Nothing."

"Heya," Drake greeted, also sitting with us."

"Hey, where's Cupid?" Boogey asked.

"Detention, for beating up Gabriel."

"Ugh," Mary mumbled.

"Why'd you even date him?" Drake asked

"I don't know. He was nice and did what I asked him to do."

"So he was your bitch?"

"No. He just wasn't so macho all the time."

Drake rolled his eyes.

"You've dated basically every guy who is too clingy and dependent. Why not date someone who you can be dependent on?" I asked, trying to help him out.

"but I'm an independent person."

"Do you really want to be the man in the relationship?"

Boogey snorted a laugh while Drake just looked hopeful.

"I guess you're right," she said. "Is Rolf single?"

Drake closed his eyes, feeling defeated.

I was sitting in my bed the following week when I heard a knock. I looked at my door, which was open, and heard it again. It was too close to be from the front door, so I looked at the window. I walked over to the window and opened to reveal Cupid standing outside of it. "Cupid? What're you doing here so late?" I asked. "What're you doing here at all? And why didn't you use the front door?"

"I didn't want to wake your mom up," he said, putting his arms against the windowsill and placing his head on his arms.

"She's not home."

"Well I like windows anyway."

"What're you doing here?"

"Reasons."

I sat on my knees and rested against the windowsill the same as him so we were level. "What reasons?"

"I don't know. I just wanted to get out of my house," he said.

"Would you like to come inside?" I asked.

He nodded. I moved out of his way and he climbed through the window with ease. I blushed because he was shirtless. Most guys in town went around shirtless when it got warmer, and since it was March 2nd, it was pretty warm already. Warm enough to go around shirtless. "You're wearing my sweatpants?" he asked, which made me blush more since I was indeed wearing his sweatpants.

"Well...yeah? They're really comfy."

"Yeah, and I wore those when I was sweating obtrusively."

"They did stink a little, but I've washed them."

"They are my favorites."

"Okay."

He shook his head and fell against my bed, legs hanging off the side. I hesitantly climbed onto my bed, sitting far away from him by the pillows since he was at the end of the bed. "So...I'm not the best with advice."

"I'm not looking for advice, Jack," he told me.

"You just want out of the house."

"Yeah, and...I don't know. It's just my parents."

"What about them?"

"They don't seem to be in love anymore."

"Can't you tell?"

"Not with my parents. There are certain people in the world who I can't tell who they love or hate. They have that over me for various reasons. I'm pretty certain they don't love each other. I don't think they've ever loved each other. I know they haven't."

"How?"

"Well, my dad shouldn't be able to tell how my mom feels, because we can't tell how our soulmate feels. He knows how she feels, though."

"Wait, so you won't be able to tell how the person you're meant to be with feels?"

"No."

"Then...how do you know?"

"My grandpa says there's a moment when him and his soulmate, my grandma, just knew. He says I'll have that moment and it'll be amazing and I'll simply know."

"And you're dad didn't have that?"

"No."

"Why is he with your mom?"

"I don't know," he sighed. "for soem reason, they're together and they're not meant to be."

"Can you...fall in love twice, and it's true love?"

He looked over at me and then back out the window. "Yeah."

I nodded, thinking that Mom might be able to fall in love again. "Were my parents soulmates?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. My dad's the one who shot them with his arrows," he told me.

"What happens when the person you love dies?"

"The arrow dies."

I slowly leaned forward and lied down on my stomach, my legs against the wall and my body perpendicular with his. I sat up on my elbows, looking at him. "Sorry," I told him.

"Don't be."

"Do you want to stay the night?"

"If you don't mind. I probably won't get to sleep soon, though."

"That's fine. You just gonna lie there?"

"Yep."

"Mind talking?"

He looked over at me again. "What?" he asked.

"Just tell me a story or something. I have a hard time sleeping in warm weather. Someone talking helps."

"Alright. Well...there was this time when I knew it was time to assure these two people that they'd be together forever. I went to their window and saw it to be two guys. They looked exactly the same."

"Twins?"

"Yes. I had never encountered them but I was going through that town and I felt such a strong love, but I was surprised when it was two twins because I've never had that before and I know people don't...you know, accept that. And yet the love they had was one of the strongest and truest I had ever come across. They were sitting on their bed, the moon shining on them, kissing. I was confused because I didn't know what to do. I felt the need to shoot them with a gold arrow, but something else told me to use a silver one. I didn't want to make them permanently in love knowing that they would have to hide it and that they wouldn't be happy. I pondered what to do for days, but then their parents caught them and they had some type of an intervention. They sat them down and forced them to say what they hated about each other. They didn't speak to each other for a long time, and I lost my chance to make their love last because you have to shoot people at certain moments. I missed it, but my opportunity to shoot them with a silver arrow came up, and I had to. I shot them, and something strange happened. They still loved each other, but they hated each other at the same time. That's the only time that's happened to me, but strange things happen occasionally in our life..."

That was all I remembered from his story, because I fell asleep. When I woke up, we were not in each others arms and I was not mounted over him and he wasn't with me. I was, however, using his torso as a pillow. My head was against his ribcage and he was quite comfortable. I slowly sat up and stretched.

"Morning," he said, making me jump. I blushed since he caught me lying like that.

"Morning," I replied. I sighed and went to the bathroom down the hall. I used it and then came back in. "Hungry?"

"Sure."

We went into the kitchen and I started to make some eggs. "How'd that story end?"

"Story?"

"About the twins."

"Oh. They couldn't handle loving and hating each other so they killed each other."

"What? That's horrible."

"Yeah, but where ever they're at they're together."

"True, maybe."

He smirked and grabbed the paper, leaning against the counter. "What time is it?" he asked.

I looked at the clock. "Exactly noon."

"Oh. Well, good afternoon."

I smirked. "Here." I put his eggs on a plate and he shoved them all into his mouth. "Pig."

"Brat."

He folded the paper and tossed it onto the counter. "I have to go."

"Where?"

"Someone's ready for true love."

"Good luck."

"Thanks. See ya."

"Bye." I watched him walk out through the back yard, and couldn't help but wonder how nice it would be to wake up every afternoon with him as my pillow. I hate to admit it, but Mary was right. I have a crush on Cupid.

.........................................................................................................

Another chapter :D Thanks for all the votes and comments!

This is dedicated to another fan who's commented and voted for this story a lot, so thanks!

Now get out there and vote and comment some more please :)