Groundhog's Day

Author's Note: I wrote this story when I was a new writer in high school. There are probably still a lot of typos and inconsistencies because I didn't edit my work that much back then. However, many people have still requested this story to be re-published. So this is me republishing it, but just know that it is not my strongest work. I'm still appreciative of all the support and hope you enjoy regardless. If anyone is interested in helping me edit this and the sequel, feel free to let me know! I wouldn't mind.

Enjoy <3

.

I sighed and waited. He was late, like always. I swear, every year he comes out later and later. "When is he coming?" I asked.

"Be patient," Mom said.

Finally, after waiting for what seemed like hours, the groundhog climbed out of the hole. He took his time to stretch and yawn and - no shadow. Since he didn't see his shadow, he doddled away. I frowned. No more winter. I stood up and looked my mom, Mother Winter. Most people just called her Winnie.

"Sorry sweetie," she said. "Just wait until November, possibly October."

"Okay," I sighed.

It wasn't fair. Mr. Green and Mama Nat got to determine when I could start winter, and then I had to wait for a fat groundhog to tell me when it was over. I was hoping for six more weeks. I don't get how Dad dealt with it before me. He was Jack Frost the 105th, and when he passed away when I was seven, that meant I had to take over his job. Job. That's all it is. A job, but no money. Nine years later and nothing has changed.

When I came back to town with a frown on my face, everyone cheered. That was another thing. No one liked the winter. All my hard work of trying to make it snow didn't matter. Everyone loved summer, warmth. I ran through an alley, not wanting anyone to see my tears. It was like that every time winter was over. I'd just cry because no one cared.

"Jack?"

I looked up to see Lady. "Oh, hey," I said. Lady N. White was my best friend, one of the only ones I had. She didn't care about any season, she was too upset for that. It could be raining or snowing or blazing hot, but she'd still walk around at night, thinking about the things she's lost.

"Sorry the groundhog didn't get afraid of his shadow," she told me.

"It's fine."

"Crying again, I see."

I closed my eyes, knowing that voice coming from behind me. "What do you want Cupid?" I asked, turning around. 

Cupid. The most popular person in the world. Everyone loved him. Why wouldn't they? He can make anyone love anyone. 

"Just came to congratulate you," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "You know I'm devastated."

"And you know I'm happy. So maybe I should say thank you." He loved the summer. You know. Summer love.

"Whatever." I turned around.

"Oh, giving me the cold shoulder again. Just another cold brat."

I turned around and threw a ball of ice at him, but he dodged it swiftly. I turned around again, not wanting him to see my tears, running away. He didn't understand. No one understood. All I wanted was for it to be winter. Winter is my life. Summer isn't anyone's life. They can have their passion all year round, but not me. I just have to give it up while no one else has to give something up.

"Whoa!"

"Ow!" I shouted, running into someone. I sat up and saw it was just Bloody Mary. "Oh, sorry Mary," I told her.

"Aw, quit crying kid," she told me, pulling me to my feet. "Winter will be here in a few more months."

"I just want it all year," I told her.

She looked at me sympathetically. She understood, but she still liked summer better. "Come on champ. Let's get some ice cream."

"What happened to Lady?" I asked, realizing she was gone. She did that often.

"She'll find us eventually. Come on."

Mary was liked by everyone. Cupid was popular but that didn't mean he was liked by everyone. I didn't like him, but it's a matter of people wanting him to like them. I did want him to like me. He's...highly attractive. Mary was scary but awesome at the same time. She had a temper but otherwise she was fine.

We went to the ice cream shop and Lady was already there with Drake. Drake stood up at seeing Mary and slicked his black hair back. "Hey toots," he greeted. Drake had been after Mary for years. They bickered all the time, and Mary had it in her head they didn't like each other, but they were just so much alike. He was mad about her. She despised him, and yet was intrigued by him. She liked fighting anyway. She was always up for some challenge.

Mary rolled her eyes but sat down. "Put those away you pervert," she said, talking about his fangs.

The two continued to bicker as Lady went to get some ice cream for us. I sat by and looked at the happy people around us. The sprites, pixies, and fairies were gossiping, like usual. The elves were working, talking to the reindeer. The merfolk and selkies were lounging around on the beach, Kraken looking after them. Bigfoot and Abe Snowman were eating at the cafe. The werewolves were with the angels. The vampires were with the demons (except for Drake) and then the satyrs and nymphs were either smoking or fooling around in public. It was the same thing. They did the same thing everyday, whether it was winter or not, so why couldn't they do what they do in the winter - all year?

"Hey y'all," Boogie greeted, approaching us with Cupid, who acted like we didn't have an argument earlier.

Everyone knew Cupid and I were definitely not friends. The most popular people were the angels and the werewolves. Then the sprites, fairies, pixies, and elves were just in the middle. The vampires and demons, satyrs, and nymphs were up there but they were also the creepy kids or otherwise the potheads. The merfolk and selkies were all over the place since some were gorgeous and some weren't. Then the ghosts were nerdy but people didn't mind them. The witches and wizards and worelocks were more nerdy, and occasionally got picked on, but not too much.

Then there was me, who practically made up for the entire group of nerds that were meant to be picked on. I didn't always get picked on, but no one liked the snow and so no one liked me. The only reason I was sitting at a table with the notorious people like Mary was because they were above being mean. Cupid wasn't mean the way other people were. No, he was just naturally annoying. He wasn't a bully. Just a tool.

Drake was Dracula's son, and he grew up with everyone knowing him. He selectively cared about who he knew, and so he only wanted to get to know Mary, Boogie, Cupid, and Lady and since Mary is friends with Lady and Lady is friends with me he ended up getting to know me in the process. Other than Mary and Lady, he's probably my only other friend.

Then Boogie was hilarious and his family scared everyone's family so he was always well known. Plus, he was mysterious since he always wore a mask to hide his face in the daylight - since it changed and he didn't want to scare people because no one can help but scream at his face. He was friends with Drake and so the cycle continued to knowing me. Plus, he had a huge crush on Lady and only Drake, Mary, Cupid and I knew about it.

Bloody Mary was just so likable and she's a notorious witch. Her craft is very precise. No one else came up with scaring people in mirrors. It's pretty smart. She only liked me because she liked everyone, and she's friends with Lady, too. Though we grew up knowing each other, too, so it was kind of impossible to not be friends after knowing each other so long.

Then Lady was the most famous ghost, and she was intriguing and just downright beautiful. She was a genuine friend, as in she liked me for me and no one else truly liked me. She didn't really like snow too much. She didn't like a lot of things, but that's okay because she never complained and she always tried to make things better. She was very quiet and sad, but she tried.

Of course Cupid comes next. Cupid and I don't talk as friends. Boogie and I aren't mean to each other and occasionally we talk. Though Cupid and I just didn't get along. I don't know why. There were just too many things we couldn't stand about each other. I actually didn't despise him. It's just we couldn't get along. Sometimes things were okay between us, and I liked that. He's actually really smart and talented, and when he's in the zone on some subject or skill, then he's quite admirable. He's very superior to people, but he's not necessarily arrogant. It's just people see him that way, probably because he's practically perfect. I didn't like him because so many people liked him, too. I was very jealous. Though I didn't let that get ahead of me.

Boogie got up to go talk to Lady, her being oblivious to how much he liked her. Drake and Mary were bickering next to us, asking Bigfoot and Abe about who was right, not noticing us at all. Cupid just looked at me, with that stupid look of his.

"How old you turning this year?" he asked.

"I'll be sixteen," I said.

I hated my birthday. Why? Because I was born on Valentine's Day. Yeah. The only person who ever remembered my birthday was Mom, and since she was done looking for dates, she payed full attention to me. Though no one else ever said a thing, except for Cupid. For some reason, he some how remembered. Maybe it was because he was the only one who didn't care about trying to find a date on Valentine's Day. It was his holiday, so he had to fulfill its purpose. Other than Mom, he was the only one who told me happy birthday, and it wasn't to be snide. He didn't realize that his favorite day trumped my birthday. Not only that, but he was born on December 21st, the first day of winter. So on my day, his birthday trumped it. It's like the world was set against Cupid and I ever possibly becoming friends.

"Hopefully the snow will melt by then," he said.

I rolled my eyes.

"You should just make the snow melt faster," said Faye, approaching us. She was one of the most gorgeous and well-known fairies. She had a huge crush on Cupid, but he never gave her a second glance.

"I can't do that. I only make it not snow and it naturally melts." I said that every year, but no one ever remembered other than Cupid and Mary and the ones who are smart.

"Here you go," Lady said, handing me some ice cream.

"Will you two shut up and eat already?" Boogie asked, handing Drake and Mary theirs. "Here you are man." He handed Cupid his.

"I have to go," Cupid said, grabbing his arrows and bow.

"Where to?" Boogie asked.

"A couple's ready for my arrows." With that, he left. Faye awkwardly walked away, giving me a dirty look.

"Sorry about winter having to end," Boogie said, because he was actually a nice guy. He preferred spring or fall because that's when it normally rained and people were more scared in the rain. He looked at Lady to see her reaction, but she just sat and ate her ice cream, diminishing his spirits. And when Boogie was stumped into an angry or sad mood, his face changed. That day, he was wearing a mask that only covered above his mouth. Though since he was sad Lady didn't notice him, his face started to change. He grabbed a napkin and quickly covered his mouth, mumbling he had to go, and bolted out of there.

He wasn't the only one striking out. Drake glared at Gabriel the angel as he made Mary laugh. He eventually got up and walked away without Mary noticing. I didn't get how Cupid knew who to make fall in love with. Why didn't he just shoot them with a temporary arrow? It was confusing to me, but it was confusing to everyone else as to why I love snow.

I got up, telling Lady I was going on a walk. I walked away from the bustling dock to the less populated parts of town, which is also the Capitol. That's why all the notorious people are in this town, because it's where we all have to gather. If a crisis happens, then this is where we meet.

I looked at the snow on the ground, sitting on the steps to my house. I grabbed a handful, looking at my carefully crafted snowflakes. I made sure no snowflake was the same and that the sheets of snow were equally distributed. I had a craft, one I loved, but no one cared.

I guess I'll just have to make them care.