Chapter 18

(Carly's P.O.V.)

I tried opening my eyes but they refused to move. The first pang of panic hit me. What had happened? I remembered the wolf jumping through the window but that was it. Everything after that was just black. There were a few moments that it felt like the memory was on the tip of my tongue. But when I reach for it the memory vanishes again.

I took an inventory check on my body, trying to move my arms or legs or even wiggling my toes. Nothing seemed to be working. Did I hit my head or something? Was I paralyzed? I panicked and tried moving, speaking or even opening my eyes again.

I gave up a few minutes later when it became clear that I wasn't able to move, at all. Was it even a few minutes? There was no way to tell how much time had passed and there was no way of knowing how long I would remain like this. Some sort of purgatory between being unconscious and being awake.

Or maybe it wasn't that at all. Was I already dead? If I could move right now I would've shuddered at the thought. If this is what happens after you die I'm going to insane, I thought sadly. That's all I could do really, think.

After a while though, I began hearing small noises. They were faint and indistinguishable but still noises. I did a mental jump for joy at the fact that I obviously wasn't dead if I could still hear things.

I concentrated as hard as I could on the sounds. A shuffle here, a soft grunt there. What the hell was going on? I couldn't tell by the sounds where I was or what was going on. The most distinct one was an incessant beeping. It kept up a steady pattern and never stopped.

After what seemed like ages, I could make out some words. They were quiet and I couldn't tell who was saying them.

"...coma... three days.......... doctor..."

What? I couldn't get the whole thing but I had heard the word 'coma'. Was that what happened to me? A coma would make sense I suppose. I always got the impression that you would be floating around and able to see yourself lying there on the hospital bed. Probably got that from movies or something.

If I was in a coma I must be in a hospital. The beeping might be coming from a heart monitor or something. I wondered who was had spoken earlier. The only noise now was the beeping. With nothing else to do, I started counting the beeps.

1, 2, 3...

There was no way of knowing how long this went on for. I was so concentrated on counting the beeps I didn't notice the sound of a chair scraping against the floor.

101, 102, 103...

I was startled when someone began speaking and from the sound of it they were close. I felt my hand being picked up from the bed and being held in someone else's.

"Hey Carly, baby." I was able to recognize the voice belonging to Daniel. He was speaking gently like you would when you were talking to someone who just got out of a surgery. I wanted more than anything to able to talk to him or even move my hand in his.

"A lots been going since you uh..." He said that last part uncertainty.

What had happened exactly? I knew that I must've been attacked by that wolf otherwise I wouldn't be lying here in a coma. But what happened after that?

"Since your attack." He said emotionless while he gave my hand a squeeze.

I guess you could call it that, I thought back at him even though he couldn't hear me.

"There've been no more attacks since, I guess Joesph isn't that bold." Who the hell was that?

I hear another person's voice from farther off, it's sounds familiar but I can't place it. Daniel grunts back in reply to whatever they said. With one last gentle squeeze of my hand,he stood and walked out.