Chapter 15

(Matthew's (or Matt's) P.O.V.)

I hid in the leaves of the tree outside the living room window. From here I could see them, but they couldn't see me. I had seen them jump off the cliff earlier. It was a pain in the ass to follow them here. The mutt sure knew how to pick a secluded spot.

My legs have long gone numb from staying in the same postion for so long. I knew that I couldn't move though. Even though my scent was masked, the mutt could still hear me if I moved around too much.

I popped another wolfsbane pill into my mouth and swallowed. Contrary to popular belief, wolfsbane is harmless towards werewolves. The only thing it does is mask our scent. Very convenient for situations that needed that extra bit of stealth.

I saw him sit Carly down on the couch she looked confussed and pissed. He must've let the mate thing slip. Idiot.

When my father told me the Alpha had an assignment for me, I jumped on the opportunity to prove myself. I was the youngest of six kids and the runt of the family. Though to humans I must seem giantic.

The job was simple. Tail Daniel, or the mutt as I liked to call him, to the high school and monitor his progress in finding his mate. Even though I thought the idea of looking in an all human high school was a bit ridiculous.

Once he found her I was supposed to kill her outright. But something held me back. I still had to send the message, but I did what I knew wouldn't kill her. I found her fascinating and immeadately wanted more information about her. Actually talking to her would be too risky.

When I told my father I only injured her he went balistic, calling me a dissapointment and a failiure. The Alpha had to step in beacuase my father was on the brink of shifting and trying to rip my throat out. My dad was his Beta and had to obey him, but it still took about half an hour to calm him down completely. I had stormed out of the pack house but the Alpha caught up with me.

He had liked my approach surprisingly. Especially the fact that I was playing with them in a sense. I never knew him to be a crazy man but the look in his eyes at the thought of the 'possibilities' was a bit unsettling.

I shook my head trying to keep my attention on the present. He was holding her hands now and talking gently. No doubt trying desperately to convince her to stay. I was hoping she would dump his ass and make my job a hell of a lot easier.

But much to my dissapointment, she hugged him and agreed to stay. I had trouble controlling my wolf. For some reason whenever he saw the mutt with Carly he got the overwhelming urge to rip his throat out and take her.

I shook my head and concentrated, pushing him back down until I was in controll again. Why am I acting like this?

About half an hour later, she was asleep on the couch and the mutt was on the phone. I assumed it was his father. Try as I might, my attention always shifted from Daniel's conversation to Carly's sleeping form.

She looked so peaceful. Her arms were laying in awkward positions and I resisted the urge to chuckle. I watched her chest rise and fall steadily, totally forgetting about the mutt.

Then my phone rang. Just my luck.

I almost fell out of the tree as I scrambled to answer it. Not because it was probably an important call I just wanted to shut the damn thing up.

I flipped it open. "What the hell is it?" I hissed quietly. Daniel was already looking out the window skeptically.

"I was checking in you asshole." Came back the rather loud and nasty reply from my older sister, Kim.

"God damnit Kim I'm in the middle of something here!" She of all people should know this. Even though my father viewed me as a disapointment, that didn't stop him from talking everyone's ear off about the fact his son was picked for the job.