Frank's realization

Start from the beginning

"Ise knows 'e," Nanny Dove nodded.

"'e bes married to dat lovely woman, Julie. Ise saws 'er out at da Cove, wit John Dove and Tanya."

She stared right at Frank.

"Ise keeps me eye on dat John Dove. Ise times 'e 'as da 'ots fer yer woman."

She sat back in her rocking chair.

"Cant say Ise blames 'im, 'avin' to live wit dat Joyce Dove. She's bes one gossipy, nosey little bitch."

"Were you the presence that Julie felt?"

"Not if it was a good feeling," Bill cracked.

"Huh," Nanny Dove laughed.

"Dis comin' from backward swimmin' spermy ting guy."

"Okay you two, knock it off," Matty snapped.

"For fuck sake."

"'e started it," Nanny Dove snapped, getting in the last word.

Matty looked at Frank.

"On second thought Frank. Maybe you should reconsider moving to the Bay."

Frank walked to the couch and sat at the end closest to Nanny Dove.

"Julie said she thought she felt Spirits.

She's the one who believes in them. Her whole family does. I thought they were just bonkers."

He looked at Matty.

"Julie will be in heaven here."

"More like ..."

Matty glared at Bill.

"One more word from you and you sleep in the old part of the house."

"So how does this work?" Frank wondered.

"Do you have to summon them?"

Nanny Dove laughed.

"Wes always bes 'ere, Frank. But youse will only sees us ifin youse wants to. People dat don't wants to sees us, don't. And wes can appears to dose dat believes in us."

She laughed a little harder.

"And den dere bes da cases where wese shows up to scare da shit out of big 'airy assed men, who dresses all in black and tries to do 'arm to ours people."

Matty laughed slightly.

"The two men that held me had the unfortunate experience to encounter Nanny Dove. They are undergoing thirty day psychological examinations."

Nanny Dove looked at Frank.

"Dey keeps babblin' dat dey seen a ghost."

Frank looked at Matty.

"So you see all the Spirits, all the time?"

Matty shook her head.

"No. Just the ones you want to see, when you want to see them, or in a case like last Monday, when there is trouble, they will appear to let us know that they are alerting others in the Bay.