Chapter 5: Anjaana Anjaani

Wattpad isn't allowing me to change the sequence of these chapters. So, to any new readers, this is chapter 5, chapter 4 appears after chapter 5 so, please go and read that one first. I am so sorry for this inconvenience.

He took his eyes off the sunset when he heard her soft whisper.

"Have you ever lost someone very close to you?"

He set his eyes on the sunset as he replied, "I lost myself once, that was traumatising enough."

"Yourself?"

"Yeah, drugged myself into forgetting pain, only to remember nothing but it. " He said with a sigh, clutching her tighter to make the thoughts go away. It almost worked.

"Then, you're perfect for me. I have lost everyone but myself." Her voice was so indifferent but hurt. He could sense that she wasn't here with him. She was lost in memories.

"How?"

"Well, I officially lost my father when I was ten. To be honest, I don't think I ever really had him. Then, I lost my youngest sister when I was fourteen. My other sister left me and our youngest brother for her family, three years later. And then, I lost my brother to cancer. Lung cancer." Her words were detached again but he felt the tears drop on his arm on her shoulder.

His grip tightened around her waist as sobs shook her body again. He wanted to ask her what family a sixteen year old could have but he couldn't. Not when she was breaking down in his arms.

"How did you not lose yourself?"

"Because that was all I had, Tadibaaz. I was all I ever had." She whispered, her voice broken again.

"Your mother?" He asked in a soft whisper not wanting to trigger her.

"My mother?" Aanika asked with honest confusion as if she didn't remember who she was. "I guess you mean the shell who loved a man more than herself and lost herself the day he walked away for good. I was ten, Dhira was nine and Chutki was six when we lost her to her new man, well, more like a series of men. Saahil was a baby. Only two years old."

"Why did you say that my brother didn't love his wife? Your mother-"

"She never loved him the right way, Tadibaaz. When you love someone with all your heart, you love every part of theirs. My mother fell in love with a Prince Charming. She fell for a knight in shining armor who would whisk her away from her past. She didn't fall for him, she fell for his life."

"How can you know for sure?"

"Because I have seen relationships. I have seen the good and the bad. From what I gather, love can be burning red or shining golden. It can bring out the good and the bad. But true love, it's a rainbow. You have your fights, you have your flaws but no matter what you always laugh with him at the end of the day. I can't judge someone's love for some other person and I agree it was wrong to pass judgement about your brother. Maybe he really did love her, maybe he didn't. But what I do know is that he will get another chance at love for sure. Life loves giving chances. Maybe he'll find the rainbow this time."

Her body was now just relaxed in his hold. She was calm and mystical. She was fierce and passionate. She was worldly and philosophical. She was everything good for the world and everything bad for him.

"So, you found your rainbow yet?" He asked hoping to hear a strong No.

"I am here in this country because I came searching for my happy ending." She said as she got comfortable in his hold. "But I was just a cat following a red laser light."

"You don't think life would give you a second chance?" He asked past the emotions that clogged up at her mention of finding her rainbow with someone else. Someone that wasn't him. Isn't that what he should be hoping for?