Chapter 60

A nurse came into the room with Sara's discharge directions, and with Meredith in tow. "Meredith!" Sara chimed. And then to the nurse: "I'm free to go, then?"

"Yes, Doctor Brooks will see you on Monday. Call his office if you need anything before then. You can find the number in your directions."

"Thank you," Sara and Zak said in unison.

Meredith had slipped over to Sara's side while remaining quiet during the exchange. The nurse nodded to everyone and left the room.

"Hi, Sara," Meredith piped, now that the nurse had gone. She gave Sara a gentle hug. She could see that her younger brother was visibly relieved.

Meredith smiled. "I brought you some clothes to wear home. Well, actually, I brought you some of Zak's clothes. I couldn't find any sweats in your room." She handed a neatly folded pile of clothes to Sara.

"No worries. And thank you, Meredith." Sara sat up and began to get off of the bed. She took a deep breath.

"You okay?" Zak asked, a little panicked.

"I'll be fine – just have to remember to move a little more slowly," Sara replied with a light laugh as she made her way into the bathroom to get changed.

"How long has she been awake?" Meredith asked Zak.

"About forty-five minutes. They wanted to keep her here, but she pretty much refused."

Meanwhile, in the bathroom, Sara sloughed off of her hospital gown carefully and slipped into Zak's clothes. They were big on her, but she was grateful that they were easy to get into. When she finished changing, Sara came back into the room.

"Meredith went to go get the car," Zak said. "One of the nurses is bringing you a wheelchair."

"I don't need a wheelchair. Walking is less painful, believe it or not."

"Hospital legal requirement mumbo jumbo," he said.

Sara rolled her eyes. "Fine," was her only retort.

The nurse returned and helped Sara into the wheelchair, then brought them through the hallways, the lobby, and finally through the hospital's entrance. Meredith had already arrived and was busily adjusting the front seat for Sara. Zak helped her into the car, and took the seat behind her. Meredith climbed back into the driver's seat, and they were off.