Afterword

Thank you for reading "The Ghosts in You". 

When I was first inspired to pen this story, I had no idea what I was getting into. But once I started, the words flowed, seemingly non-stop. Within three months, it was complete. 

Whatever the complement to a vicious circle might be, my words fed the story, which in turn, fueled its own growth into something more and allowed me to express my own sadness, in ways I hadn't expected. And that, too, encouraged me to think of others who might need guidance through similar dark forests. Looking back, it almost seems like ethereal inspiration was at the keyboard's helm. 

I've touched on a couple of difficult topics here that I have personal experience with: specifically, suicide and murder – but even more precisely, my mother's suicide and my father's murder.

The pain caused by a loved one's death; the sorrow and longing that you never really get over, but somehow learn to come to terms with – Sara's grief really is a reflection of my own. And writing about my parent's deaths and the aftermath that followed has really helped me to come to terms with and accept what Fate had in store for them. I will always love them, but I'm also learning to let them go. 

So for those of you out there who are grappling with having lost someone, or with suicidal thoughts of your own – know that you're not alone. There are those of us out here who know exactly what you're feeling, what you're going through.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, please reach out and ask for help. Whether it's a trusted friend or family member, or even a trained counselor, help is out there. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Life can be difficult, even heart-wrenching at times – but things can and do get better. Don't give up.