Chapter 93

Sara took a seat on the other side of her desk. "Okay, let's have it."

She listened to everything Zak knew about his – and now, their – demon. He shared with her what he'd learned from Aaron just a little while ago, that Robert Anthony O'Neill took his own life. "What are your thoughts, Sara?"

Sara closed her eyes and connected to her inner voice. She listened carefully to what that voice explained to her. Sara wasn't fond of this voice – it was the reason she disliked her empathic abilities. But she knew that she needed to listen to it, now more than ever.

Zak watched Sara, more than a little awestruck. He could see what she was doing, comprehend that she was connecting to whatever source she needed to consult. All he could do was watch her expression and wait.

Finally, she opened her eyes. He could see her debating something in her mind before expressing it. "The demon in your dreams is the same demon now inhabiting mine. Do you remember the thing that grabbed my ass at my ex's house?"

Zak nodded. "I do."

"That was this same demon. It was testing me...trying to see if I feared it. It could see that somewhere down the line, you and I were going to meet, and it was trying to figure me out, see if it could manipulate me or not. Does this make sense so far?"

"Yes. Keep going, please." Zak was entranced by her explanation.

Sara continued. "It possessed the guy on our flight, making him grab my ass. Seems that's the demon's M.O. That was also meant to be a reminder to me of it grabbing me in my ex's kitchen. It wanted me to remember. At the time, I thought I was just feeling uneasy about my stalker, but now I see it was more than that. Subconsciously, I knew what happened on the plane had evil origins."

She took a sip of water before continuing. "Just being close to the Dybbuk Boxes at your museum opened the door for the demon to access to my dreams. The Dybbuk Boxes act as a portal, allowing the demon to enter the dreams of anyone in close proximity to it."

Another sip. "The demon possessed Dwayne – and the letter he left in my mailbox that read 'You're Mine'? That was the demon saying I was 'his'."

Fuck that! Zak thought.

She continued. "I believe that Dwayne got the cops to shoot him and Robert ended his life because they didn't want the demon controlling them anymore."

Sara studied Zak's face for a few seconds. "You're trying to collect all of the Dybbuk Boxes aren't you?" She would have rather given him the opportunity to share this information with her as he saw fit, but they needed to fit the pieces together now. Lives were at stake.

"How do you know that?" He was stupefied.

"That's why I keep seeing wooden boxes in the dreams; there's more to it than that, but I can explain that later. For now, the demon wants you to collect all of the boxes –" Sara arrived at a realization, interrupting her explanation.

"And??" Zak pressed.

Sara tried to think for a minute to get her words just right. "Each Dybbuk Box contains a part of the demon. Once you collect all of them in one place..." Sara's thoughts trailed off.

"Sara, what happens when I collect all of the boxes and have them all in one place?"

Somberly and quietly, Sara replied, "The demon is set free."

Zak's heart stopped. Victoria's words echoed again in his head: Earth Angel.

"The demon wants me dead, Zak, because together, you and I can defeat it."