Chapter 35

Zak turned on the grill to warm it up. He saw Sara go inside the house and make her way upstairs; he made sure everyone was good with what they had to drink and then after a minute or two, he slipped inside to follow her.

The door on the right side of the hall next to his bedroom was cracked open. He knocked softly before peeking inside. Sara looked up, and motioned for him to come in.

"What'cha doing?" Zak asked.

"I just got off the phone with my cousin. I needed to check in and make sure everything was okay at home," Sara replied.

"Is it?"

"So far, so good."

Zak walked toward her when she arched her brow at him. "What are you doing, Mr. Bagans?" Sara asked, a smile pulling at her lips.

He reached for her then, wrapping his arms around her tightly. He let his hands move down her back to feel the skin exposed on her lower spine. Sara wrapped her arms around Zak, returning his hug.

"I'm really happy you're here," he said softly into Sara's hair. Her hair is almost as soft as her skin. "Your friends are really nice, too. 'Good people'."

"They're my 'ride-or-dies'. Thank you for everything, Zak. I mean that sincerely; you're helping to make this an unforgettable weekend." Sara smiled as she looked up at him. He placed a lingering kiss on her forehead.

"Oh, yeah – we have guests," Zak remembered. He took Sara's hand and led her back into the hallway and then downstairs. How am I going to keep my hands to myself for the next few days?

Zak went into the kitchen and took the kabobs from the refrigerator. He headed outside and put them on the grill, then asked, "Can I get anyone anything to drink?"

The ladies ordered up another round of tequila; Billy and Aaron opted to join them in a shot. Sara prepped the shots for everyone before heading outside.

"What happened? Where did you go?" Shana asked.

"Upstairs. Just checking in with Alicia. Everything's been quiet at home. No news is good news, right?" Sara asked almost rhetorically.

The rest of the evening went by quickly. The company was great and the food was superb – Zak had a talent for grilling. Billy and Aaron said their goodbyes as the ladies handled the after-dinner clean-up.

Shanna was the first of Sara's friends to excuse herself for the evening. Jolie and Melissa followed shortly thereafter.

Zak dimmed the lights and sat on his sofa. He gestured for Sara to sit beside him. "Thank you for tonight, Sara," Zak began.

"Thank me? You're the one hosting me and my friends. I haven't done anything."

"Sure you did. You prepared all of the food and you were so amazing with Billy and Aaron."

"The least I could do was play hostess to your friends, Zak." She smiled at him.

Her smile is so damn sexy! "Can I ask you a question?" His tone was serious.

"Sure," Sara replied.

"Are you seeing anyone? Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No, and no."

"How is that possible?"

"What do you mean?" Sara asked. 

"I figured there was no way you wouldn't be with somebody..." Zak's voice trailed off as he gathered his thoughts.