Chapter 12

The warm December evening was beautiful. The palm trees swayed in the wind. There was something in the air: an electricity, a kind of magic. Sara had a phrase for weather like this – she referred to it as "sexy island weather".

They arrived at The Wynn, but instead of dropping her off in front of the hotel, Zak left his truck with the valet and followed Sara inside.

"Zak, it's okay to just drop me off. Really, I'll be fine."

"No, I'm going to walk you to your room. I'll feel better." I'll take any excuse to be in your presence.

They walked to the reception desk where Sara gave the concierge her information. She gave the woman her credit card and the woman handed Sara her room keys, then directed her to the elevators that would get her to her room on the 28th floor. It was a corner suite with floor-to-ceiling windows and a king-sized bed.

"Are you afraid of heights?" Zak asked.

"They aren't my favorite thing in the world," Sara said with a laugh. The elevator doors opened and they stepped inside. "I'm not a fan of elevators either. They make me claustrophobic."

Zak nodded in understanding.

It was a quick ride up twenty-eight floors. They stepped out of the elevator and walked to her room. Sara unlocked the door and opened it.

Zak had Sara's big suitcase. "Where do you want this?" he asked.

"In front of the bed is fine, thank you."

Zak walked over to the windows. "This is some view."

"It's beautiful," Sara agreed.

"How does eight o'clock sound for dinner?"

"What time is it now?" she asked.

"Five."

Sara smiled. "Eight sounds good then."

"Can I see your phone?" Zak asked.

Sara gave him a quizzical look before unlocking it and handing it to him. She watched as he opened her contacts and input his number, then he called his phone from her phone, ensuring he now had her number as well.

"Great. I'll pick you up at eight!"

"Zak, I can take an Uber. It's not a problem."

He threw her a smile. "Nope, I will pick you up in a little less than three hours."

"Okay, I'll be here. Casual attire, right?" Sara laughed.

"Absolutely!"