Chapter 20

Riley's POV

I woke up in a small pool of my own blood. My head hurt like crazy. I crawled off the floor and felt my head where the pain was coming from. I felt dried up blood in my hair.

"Great." I muttered. I didn't have enough time to get a shower, so I just ran up to my room, put on a change of clothes, and pulled my hair into a ponytail, being careful of the cut. I skipped breakfast and ran out the door.

James's POV

"Where is she?" I mumbled to myself, looking down the street for Riley. I needed to apologize and explain myself to her. Finally her short figure came into view. I waited until she caught up to me, only to find her walking right last me.

"Riley!" I call out. No reply.

"Riley!" I try again. Still no answer.

"Hey I'm talking to you!" I snapped. She stopped in her tracks and looked down.

"Riley, let me explain." I say softly, approaching her. She looks up.

"What is there to explain? After all, you only feel bad for me." She snaps, crossing her arms.

"It's not like that Riley." I plead as she begins to walk away.

"Sure seems like it." She snorts.

"No Riley. Just listen to me please!" I exclaim.

"James I don't care anymore, okay?" She sighs and begins walking again.

"Riley please!" I plead, grabbing her arm roughly. She winces.

"Whoa, you alright?" I ask, referring to her arm. She glares and hauls her arm from her grasp.

"If you didn't mean it, you wouldn't have said it." She says.

"But I didn't mean to say it. Look, the guys kept teasing me and getting on my nerves, and when I said that I thought they would just leave me alone okay? I didn't mean it and I'm sorry." I say loudly. She stops and turns around.

"You only said it so they would leave you alone?" She inquires.

"Yes, and I'm so, so sorry. It was a stupid move, and I'm sorry." I sigh.

"I guess I can't stay mad at you." She sighs with a wry smile.