Chapter 60

Riley's POV

I sling my bag over my shoulder and open up my bedroom window. I look back into my room, making sure I didn't forget to pack anything useful or needed. I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm going to do but I need to do something. I sound crazy, running off like some mad person but I can't stand the thought of going through the whole adopting process again. I rather run away and be on my own.

I hoist my foot up in the window ledge, ready to prop myself up so I can jump out when my my door opens.

"Riley, supper is...What are you doing?" Mr Ridgely asks. I sheepishly put my foot back down and hang my head.

"Running away." I confess.

"Why would you every want to do that?" He asks, walking closer.

"Because you and especially Mrs Ridgely don't want me here anymore." I reply.

"Riley, you know that's not true." He says sympathetically.

"I know that's not true! I heard you two talking! And I know that she doesn't believe that I didn't steal or lie about anything!" I exclaim. He puts his hands on my shoulders and I look up.

"Riley, I believe you. I haven't been given any reason besides whatever that girl at the mall said not to believe that stole anything. Mrs Ridgely on the other hand, can be easily mislead and be very naive. She was given, supposedly, correct information and somewhere in her head everything matched up." He explains.

"I would never steal anything." I whisper. "I had a hard life back then but I wouldn't steal. Michelle just has it out for me and wants to make me miserable." I cry.

"It's okay sweetie, you'll be okay." He soothes, bringing me into a fatherly hug.

"What's going on in here?" The sound of Mrs Ridgelys cold voice pipes up. Mr Ridgely pulls away, gives me a brief, reassuring smile and then turns back to his wife.

  "I was just having a talk with our daughter, Grace. And I think you should do the same." Mr Ridgely says. He kisses the top of my head, and then kisses his wife's cheek on his way out the door.

"Can I explain now?" I ask quietly.

"Fine."

~~~~~

"Wow." Mrs Ridgely breathes out after I explain everything to her. Right from the start when Michelle first started to torture me, leaving out most possible parts involving James.

"Yeah, I know. I don't know why, but Michelle has always had it out for me." I sigh.

"Riley, I am so sorry about all those things I said and how I treated you. Of course I never have had any experience with adopting but I have heard some awful stories when I comes to adopting." She replies.

"Well it would still have been nice if you would have at least let me tell my side of the story before blowing it out of proportion." I say sharply.

"I know. I know I should've. And I'm so truly sorry Riley." She replies. She wraps her arms around me. Even though I'm still mad at her, I hug back.

"Can I call you mom again?" I ask shyly. She chuckles.

"Of course you can." She replies. We pull away and begin walking out of my room to finally join everyone for supper when she pipes up,

"So, maybe later you can tell me more about that James boy?"