Chapter 15

James's POV

I guess everyone was wrong about Riley and her dad. He seems like a really nice guy.

"James has a girl over!" I hear my sisters whisper outside my door. I see Riley smile as she peers at the door.

"I can hear you two!" I call out, trying not to laugh. I hear them scramble, running away.

"Those your sisters?" Riley asks.

"Uh, yeah." I chuckle.

"They seem nice." She says.

"Yeah right. Some days what I wouldn't give for them to disappear." I reply. Riley's smiles slowly fades.

"Don't say that." She says softly. "I would give anything to have my sister back."

I clench my jaw. She looked so sad. She missed her sister more than anything, and here I am wishing mine would disappear.

"Hey, why don't we go see if supper's ready." I say quickly.

"Alright." She replies quietly.

••••••••••

We stroll into the kitchen, Riley staying at a close distance. My sisters were coloring at the table, but looked up when they see me walk in. They smirk at us.

"James got a girlfriend, James got a girlfriend!" Alice sings. I see Riley blush in the corner of my eye. Even though I wished it was true, and I was enjoying imagining Riley as my girlfriend, I had to put a stop to their teasing.

"Stop it." I say.

"What's your name?" Hanna asks Riley.

"Riley." Riley replies sweetly.

"That's a pretty name." Alice beams.

"Thanks. And what's your names?" Riley asks, smiling at the girls.

"I'm Alice, and that's Hanna." Alice replies, pointing to Hanna.

"We're you and my brother kissing?" Hanna, who is five and at the questioning age, asks.

"She's not my girlfriend." I say. "We're just friends."

"Sure you are." Alice smirks.

"Anyway, is supper almost ready?" I ask them. They shrug and go back to their coloring.

"Supper is almost ready." Dad says, walking into the dining room.

"Alright. Oh, this is Riley." I say, gesturing to the shy brunette standing next to me. Dad gives off an odd look.

"Riley Hastings?" He asks. Riley nods. A small smile grows on dad's face.

"Well I'm James's dad." He says. "Are you staying for supper?"

Riley nods again.

"Glad to see James finally brought a girl home. Getting kind of worried there." He says jokingly.

"Dad!" I kiss, making Riley giggle.

"I'm joking James." Dad says.

"We're just friends." Rily speaks up.

"Oh, what a shame." Dad says. "I thought you two would have a made quite the couple."

"You can go back in the kitchen now!" I cry. Dad and Riley laugh.

"Alright, alright." Dad says, finally walking away.