Chapter 6

James's POV

I do a couple of my flips as we walk. I always turn back, just in time to see Riley smile the slightest bit.

"You like that, huh?" I question, a smirk emitted on my face. She nods a little, her beautiful smile growing bigger.

Riley's POV

As we near my house, I feel a sense of dread grow in me. I almost don't want to leave James. We stop in front of the driveway of my house.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I say to James. He nods.

"I'll be here to walk with you." He chuckles. I smile a little as I feel a blush grow in my cheeks. I look down, and look up again. Just as I open my mouth to say a final goodbye, the door of the house flies open.

"Riley! In the house! Now!" My father seethes. I take a glance up at James, his face contorted in an expression of confusion and shock.

"I'll see you later." I say quietly, before I begin my walk into the prison.

"Hurry up!" My father shouts at me. I slightly look him in the eye, but look away quick. I feel his hand on my back as he pushes me inside, slamming the door behind us.

"Your late!" He screams, pushing me into the wall.

"I-I'm sorry, I-"

"And who was that with you?!"

"A boy from dance." I reply quietly. "He wanted to walk me home."

"Stay away from him and everyone else at dance! Hear me?" He pushes me into the wall again. His fist collides with my face, and a throbbing feeling is already in process. He continues to hit me, pushing me to the floor, kicking me.

"Upstairs!" He screams at me. I struggle to my feet and go up to my room.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

James's POV

The scene at Riley's house kept replaying in my head. I made an assumption that the man was her father, but why would he treat her like that?

"Hey mom?" I call as I walk I to te kitchen.

"Yes?" She inquires.

"The girl I dance with, Riley Hastings, the one in the car accident. What's her father like?" I ask.

"Why?" She asks.

"Long story. But what's he like?" I ask again.

"Not someone you want to mess with." Dad cuts in, walking into the kitchen.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask.

"Before the accident, he wasn't exactly the nicest man. But after the accident, wether it was the trauma from the accident or losing his wife and daughter, or even both, made him worse." He explains.

"How bad is that? " I question. He sighs.

"I haven't really spoken to him for awhile. But I do know that he is pretty cruel." He tells me. "Why do you ask anyway?"

"Well, I walked Riley home today and I seen him. He didn't really seem very pleasant." I reply.

"Yeah, that seems like him." He responds.

"You walked Riley home?" Mom asks, changing the subject.

"Yeah." I mumble, slightly embarrassed. I see her smile a little.

"That was nice of you." She says, making me blush.