Chapter 48: Hope

2020
As Rory woke, she could hear little footsteps padding down the stairs, amid hushed directions from Logan. She couldn't help smiling and feeling immensely thankful to have such an incredible husband who would take on so much of the weight of parenting their almost three year old twins! Right from the start, Logan had been so attentive and in tune with both their needs and hers as well. When he wasn't changing diapers, he was checking on Rory and making sure she was resting when she could. Labour had taken a great toll on her body, especially after having had the brain injury during pregnancy. Neither of them were prepared for the lack of sleep that is all part of caring for two newborns!

Logan's brother Ryan had provided a realistic snapshot of what it would all be like but his twins didn't have colic! Charlotte and Oliver had seemed to take hours to settle in the evenings and this is when their parents were so glad to have so many relatives to call on. At first Logan had insisted on handling it all himself but as sleep deprivation set in, he surrendered to the many willing hands that wanted to assist.

As the months went by, things became easier with the twins but after Rory found herself suffering from Shingles, Logan became concerned. Their doctor said that Rory was very run down and the illness was not uncommon in new mums. She took antivirals and seemed to get off lightly with just a few spots on her back but months later, her energy just didn't seem to return. Rory didn't say too much, just assuming it was her busy life with twins but a year later, she developed some more concerning symptoms.

Rory had noticed that she was often very light headed and sometimes dizzy and even when the twins slept through the night, she couldn't. She had tried to get on with writing her book while her babies had their afternoon naps but it had become harder and harder to order words into sentences. To her dismay, Rory's work was littered with spelling errors! Eventually she also found it increasingly difficult to talk, stumbling over her words and generally feeling like a thick fog had settled over her.

Logan begged Rory to see the doctor about the recurring sore throat and headaches she was having and when she did seek medical advice, it was put down to seasonal allergies and sinusitis. After several courses of antibiotics, the doctor prescribed a week on cortisone treatment. The day after Rory finished the medication, their lives began to fall apart! Her body ached and she could hardly lift her head off her pillow, let alone attend to her twins' needs! Rory had never known such crippling fatigue! Her limbs felt like lead and she felt like she had the flu! Every muscle and lymph node in her body seemed to throb!

Fortunately, Paris lived nearby with Tristan and recognised the signs of adrenal insufficiency. She made sure her friend sought out the best endocrinologist in Maine. Paris kept in touch with Logan over the coming weeks and months, following what was very limited recovery. It wasn't until Paris recommended Rory see an immunologist, that she was finally diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Logan was devastated to see the love of his life fading away into her own world of pain! He watched her slowly deteriorate, despite having seen many top doctors and specialists. Family and friends were not able to visit as it was too much for Rory who would spend weeks at a time in bed, only getting up to visit the bathroom. Colour had drained from her face and the sparkle in her eyes was no longer evident. Rory only managed a smile when Logan allowed the twins to come into bed with her for cuddles. They missed their Mom and just didn't understand why they couldn't see her!

Months went by and Logan desperately sought a cure for Rory's symptoms from traditional and naturopathic sources but after trying everything, the only thing that seemed to make any difference was prayer, rest and more rest! Eventually the acute stage seemed to improve and slowly, Rory was able to be out of bed for longer periods of time, however, she needed to be so careful, as doing too much, either physically or mentally, could lead to days of bed rest!