Chapter 45: The Uninvited Guest

Christopher stood to his feet straight away, just as Lorelai was being called for her speech. He marched down the ballroom, his eyes fixed in a steely gaze on Mitchum Huntzburger! Without a word, he grabbed the intruder by the arm and forcefully led him back out the door!

"Get your hands off me!" Mitchum slurred, obviously having found courage to be there via a bottle of whisky.

"You are not welcome here Mitchum! I think you need to leave before you embarrass yourself and your family! It's not fair to spoil your son's wedding day like this!" Christopher said firmly, suddenly realising he had been joined by a staff member who assisted him in steering Mitchum right out onto the street and into a waiting cab.

"You'll be hearing from my lawyers!" Mitchum spluttered as Christopher closed the car door and then handed the driver a wad of cash to drive his passenger around until he was a little more sober and the wedding was over. "I just wanted to speak to my family......"

"You can speak to them when you're not rolling drunk.... it will be a much better conversation...." Christopher stated as he waived the driver off then hurried back inside, hoping he hadn't missed too much of Lorelai's speech.

The guests had been treated to a walk down memory lane as Lorelai painted a colourful picture of Rory's youth. Her fast talking wit had the room filled with eruptions of laughter and applause one minute, contrasted with recollections of deeply moving moments they had shared together the next.

"I still remember the day that Rory announced she wanted to write a book.... about us.... about our life together..... I immediately said 'no'..... I was in a strange space at the time and didn't want all the details of those years in black and white for everyone to read about. ..... However I did have a change of heart and well she started writing her book anyway.... but today.... as my little girl walked down that aisle at St Peter's By the Sea, I felt like all the pages of our lives together were flipping through my mind.... they were our precious moments as mother and daughter.... filled with so much joy.... punctuated by so much love....."

Lorelai paused as Luke handed her his handkerchief so she could dry her tears as she took a deep breath and continued.

"But today Rory, you begin a new chapter of your story with Logan.... sure he has made many appearances in your book before but now he's a main character for all the chapters that will come in the future! Your book has become a romance novel... a really beautiful love story that I hope continues to grow through all the challenges of parenting twins and just doing life together. I wish you both loads of laughter as you write each page. May you continue to find much joy in discovering new things about each other and choosing to love in all the seasons that you journey through. Will you please raise your glasses and drink to 'Logan and Rory....and the next chapter'!"

Rory had barely dried her eyes when Logan stood to speak. He had already said so many wonderful things about her, she didn't know if her heart and pregnancy hormones could take any more! She was grateful that he had quite a long list of thank yous to make so she could just smile and zone out for a bit. Rory hadn't realised how hard it would be, being the centre of attention all day. She was very tired!

The babies were obviously enjoying the meal she had consumed as both were having a kick and a roll! Their behaviour was very distracting indeed! Rory's mind wandered to the day in the future when she and Logan would be sitting at their weddings. The thought brought a flood of new emotion, fortunately at a poignant moment of Logan's speech. Without intending to, she had missed quite a bit and was just aware of his closing remarks.

"Rory, I'm so excited for this new beginning with you and our twins........no matter how many years we have together on this earth, I will never forget how radiant you are today and how blessed I feel to have the opportunity to spend everyday with you...... I feel so grateful that God brought us back together ..... I look forward to watching our love grow deeper as every wonderful memory we make, is etched on our hearts for eternity!"