Chapter 30: So Close!

It was hard for Dean to know what to say as he could see the love in Rory's eyes —a look he remembered from his youth. It seemed like every part of her was lit up, from the inside out! But even though it wasn't for him, Dean was just so happy that at last Rory could remember the father of her babies.

"Wow! That is so good Rory! I'm really pleased we ran into each other again! It's like it was meant to happen!" Dean concluded, hoping that they would be able to stay in touch because he just wanted to hear how everything worked out for this special friend.

Rory paused as she stood on the driveway and took a deep breath. She felt like she was starting her life all over again.  As she looked at the home she had grown up in with her mother, she felt thankful that all those memories were not isolated anymore but everything fit together.  It just felt so good, she wanted to tell the world!

Excited to get inside and tell her mom and Luke the good news, Rory hugged Dean and thanked him again and again for taking her out and talking with her. Somehow being able to remember letting go of her first love had unlocked the door to her one true love! Rory knew she would always be grateful to him!

Just as Rory was about to climb the stairs and go inside, she turned to wave Dean off and took another deep breath in before sighing and uttering those words her mother had said so many times in the past, "I smell snow!"

As if on cue, tiny flakes of snow could be seen, silently dancing through the icy afternoon air, before coming to rest on her head and shoulders. Rory started laughing! It was the most perfect symbol to her. Each unique flake representing a lost memory finally coming back to her! She twirled around with her arms out and face heavenward, welcoming each flake like an old friend! It was only when she almost became dizzy and her extremities were crying out for a warmer location, that Rory remembered she had to share her good news!

"Mom! Luke!" Rory called out as she rushed into the house, enjoying the warm air coming from the fire. "It's snowing .....and I remember... I remember!"

Lorelai and Luke came running downstairs. They were overjoyed to see Rory looking so happy. Luke was especially relieved because from their bedroom window, he had caught a glimpse of Rory and Dean hugging on the front lawn and had thought the worst!

"I remember everything! Dean.... Jess and Logan! I remember how much I love Logan and I have to be with him..." Rory sang as Lorelai hugged her, tears of thankfulness running down her cheeks.

"Well that's a relief then," Luke commented with his more measured approach and brief hug. "That's great news Rory!"

"Mom... you're crying!" Rory noticed, surprised but sensing her relief.

"I'm just glad to have all of you back Kid!" Lorelai sniffed. "I'll have to call your Dad and Grandma too! They will be so relieved!"

"And I have to go.... sorry I just have to call Logan.... I can't believe all the things I'm remembering!" Rory shouted joyfully as she practically skipped to her room.

Logan had promised to take care of Jess until he was feeling strong enough to care for himself but Liz had decided to come and stay with her son for Christmas and had already settled into his apartment.

"I'm not sure whether this will be beneficial for my recovery," Jess commented as Logan drove him home. "My mom is not the most maternal person but I guess I have to let her have a go!"

"Well if things aren't working out, just call me and I'll come and rescue you!" Logan smiled. "I'll just be at the paper getting things finalised before the Holidays and I can duck out any time!"

"Thanks Logan," Jess responded, "I don't know how to thank you for all you've done for me!"

"It was my pleasure and it's been so good getting to know you. Once you are on your feet we'll have to go out and have a beer!" Logan promised.