Chapter 46: Reconciliation

Ryan loosened his father's tie and spoke calmly to him as he lay on the floor. Honor came over to see what the commotion was about and was shocked to see her father lying on the ground. Josh grabbed her and made her sit down, knowing the shock was not good for the baby!

"Move back people.... give the man some space to breathe!" Paris ordered the growing group of spectators as she came to take charge. "I am not going to tell you again!"

Paris went to work, checking Mitchum's vitals and asked the semi conscious patient some questions. By the time the ambulance arrived, she was confident that he was going to be okay but was quite sure he had indeed experienced a heart attack.

"Can I go with him in the ambulance?" Shira asked, much to Mitchum's surprise. "They might need to know some of his medical history.... and I want to make sure he's alright...."

"Yes that would be good...." Paris agreed. "Let's get him on his way as soon as possible."

"I'll meet you at the hospital Mom...." Ryan said. "Honor you should try to get some rest..... I promise I'll text you as soon as we know anything."

Everyone was amazed at how Ryan was able to manage a crisis, being thoughtful of the needs of each family member.

"I think we should wait until the morning to tell the newlyweds...." Ryan suggested. "What do you think Paris?"

"Yeah no sense in disturbing them.... I'm sure Mitchum's going to be fine...." Paris reassured them.

Lorelai shivered as she walked outside to see the guests off, as the temperature had dropped quite significantly. It had been quite an abrupt end to the evening and she was very glad that Rory and Logan had missed it! Like everyone else, Lorelai had been very surprised by the identity of the uninvited guest and was glad he hadn't interrupted the church service or spoilt the formal part of the reception.

Hep Alien had stopped playing now and most of the guests had begun to leave. Lorelai made sure her mother was okay before having Luke escort her to her room at the Inn, as Emily had looked on in horror as Mitchum collapsed, probably bringing back difficult memories of Richard's death!

As the last guests left and the lights of the ambulance disappeared into the night, Lorelai sighed as Christopher joined her on the front deck of the Inn.

"Well it was almost a perfect day," Christopher commented. "But it could have been a lot worse...."

"Yeah, just as well Mitchum didn't die in there!" Lorelai reflected. "Love him or hate him, that would have been intense!"

"So you didn't see when he arrived as you were starting your speech?" Christopher asked.

"No.... Right then I was just worried that I might black out.... I was so nervous!" Lorelai laughed. "So I'm guessing you saw him....?"

"Yeah and I managed to escort him from the building so he didn't make a scene!" Christopher explained. "He was very drunk.... I paid a cab driver to give him a tour of York until the reception was over...."

"Well full marks Chris.... you probably saved the day!" Lorelai exclaimed. "And it really was a wonderful day.... our kid was so happy...."

"Yeah I can't imagine what our lives would be like without her..... I'm so glad we made her......." Christopher reflected. "She really was stunning today! I've never felt prouder than I did when I walked her down that aisle.... I was so grateful that she let me.... after all I was a very part-time dad...."

"Yes I'm very glad we made her too! It was a really moving moment watching her coming down the aisle on your arm.... I know we were never a traditional family but we are family Chris and for the record, it wasn't really your fault that you didn't get to be there, especially while Rory was very young...." Lorelai admitted getting teary.  "I didn't want to let you in.... I was so stubborn and independent! I'm really sorry you missed out on so much of her growing up.... I could have made it easier for you to be part of her life.... I was just too young to realise what a control freak I was, until it was too late.... I really pushed you away!"