Chapter 31: Breaking Free

Thinking the worst, Logan had to be alone! He couldn't speak to Rory right now, let alone travel in the car with her. Something told him that Rory's news had something to do with Dean and if that was the case, Logan didn't want anything to do with it!

"God, I was sure today was going to be a turning point...." Logan said out loud, "only it wasn't a turn in my direction....I just had it all wrong...."

Rory couldn't believe the timing! Logan had seen her with Dean and had obviously jumped to the wrong conclusions! He had always been prone to being jealous however he didn't usually retreat like this.  As she continued thinking, she realised she had not exactly given him a reason to have confidence in a future for them.

"Oh this is such a mess!" Rory cried, "I should have just told Logan my news over the phone....now how am I going to get him back?"

"I'm so sorry Rory! Why don't I go after him and explain?" Dean suggested, feeling terrible.

"Thanks Dean but I think it's best if I try calling him...." Rory said heading back inside to get her cellphone as Dean reluctantly left.

She called Logan repeatedly but he didn't answer and Rory knew that it was not a good sign. Grabbing her coat and scarf, she decided to head into town, hoping to find him there.

Feeling frustrated and desperate, Rory walked at quite a speed, scanning the area for signs of Logan's car. Stopping in the town gazebo to catch her breath, Rory sent Logan a message, hoping he would read it:

Logan I don't know what you think you saw but Dean was just saying goodbye. I need to see you! I am waiting in the town gazebo but I'll just make my own way to York if you don't come in the next 10 minutes!

Feeling broken and very much alone, Logan had turned off his cellphone and was already on the highway, heading home. He had convinced himself that Rory wanted to be with Dean because after all Dean was the only one she had wanted when she woke from the coma. Dean had left a wife for Rory before and he assumed he was about to do it again!

Rory sat anxiously looking at her phone and when ten minutes had turned into twenty, she couldn't hold back her tears.

"Hey Rory," Lane called out as she walked through the town square, surprised to see her friend there, as Rory had called her earlier to say goodbye. "Are you okay?"

Rory dried her eyes but more tears fell. "Logan saw me hugging Dean and he drove off ..... he's not answering my calls... I just have to see him and explain how much I want him.... I should have told him over the phone that my memory was back .... now I don't know what to do!"

Lane comforted her friend with a hug. She had always wanted the best for Rory and was so mad with Logan for going off in a jealous rage.

"I can't believe him!" Lane sighed. "He'll realise his mistake and come back...he loves you Rory..."

"Well if he really loved me, he would have stayed and fought. Maybe he was only interested in me because I'm carrying his children! Maybe that explains why he was marrying Odette instead of me!" Rory cried.

"That's a lot of maybes Rory.... I think you need to calm down and take a breath," Lane suggested. "This is all being blown up out of proportion! Logan wants you Rory... he has just been through a lot too...."

Rory blew her nose and took a deep breath. "I hope you're right Lane.... I'm going to go home and figure out what to do.... I'm just getting cold here!"

On her way home, Rory tried calling her dad to talk things over but he wasn't picking up. Her mom was very busy at the inn with just days to Christmas, Luke was working between the diner and the inn and so Rory knew she had to stand on her own two feet! Calling a hire car company, she organised a rental and within the hour, she was on the road to York!