Chapter 47: Life Goes On

The community of York welcomed the beginning of Spring like never before! Easter was marked with a colourful parade down  Main Street, culminating in various services at the churches throughout town. For Rory and Logan, it was a joy to see their family coming together again after what had been quite a tumultuous Winter! At their church, Matt and Hannah performed a duet part in a most moving rendition of Hallelujah from Handel's Messiah and it was very clear to all the family who attended the service, that they were now indeed an item!

A wonderful celebratory Easter lunch was held at Rory and Logan's house in the woods which was surrounded by a rainbow of blossoming fruit trees, flowering perennials and bulbs. It really was a delight to see it all coming to life after months devoid of colour.  All of their family and friends were invited and enjoyed checking out their home renovations for the twins' arrival. Both sides of the family were there, along with Ryan's parents too!

Mitchum had made a very good recovery and had surprised everyone by selling off a large portion of Huntzberger Media so he could slow down and mostly work from home. He no longer wanted to be the richest media magnate in the country and when he passed his business on to his family, he did not want them to have to work as hard as he had and miss out on being there for their children.

With the money from the sale of his assets, Mitchum funded more projects, like the one started by Shira in their house by the sea. Seaview Retreat would just be the first of many affordable holidays for families of children living with disabilities. He was also able to make very large donations to aid Spinda Bifida research and also the missionary work that Michael and Jennifer Atkinson had been a part of in Cambodia and earlier in Papua New Guinea. Mitchum also made funds available for the Atkinsons to purchase a home near the rest of the family. He put money aside for Ryan to establish a special support service for people with Spina Bifida. It seemed that all of his life goals were rapidly changing!

Mitchum eventually moved back in with Shira, to try to build trust again and restore their marriage. He was happy to help her with the running of the Seaview Retreat in York, once the sale of their property in Hartford had been taken care of. Mitchum was generous in sharing the proceeds of the sale with each of his three children, enabling them to prepare for their expanding families.

It wasn't long before Logan began working closely with his father, in order to make improvements to Huntzberger Media. They aimed at establishing working practices to benefit families whereby employees could work from home most days. Mitchum also partnered with Matt and Finn at the York Weekly to allow them to greatly expand their business and publish daily content online. Rory loved being part of this but still made time to work on her Gilmore Girls book each evening.

Lorelai and Luke decided to live in York and run the Harbourside Inn that Emily bought after the wedding. Family was more important than ever and these grandparents-to-be didn't want to waste any time travelling! Luke took over the kitchen and surprisingly found that he didn't really miss his diner in Stars Hollow! He had been well and truly ready for a change!

Emily eventually joined them all in York, feeling that Nantucket was just too remote. She bought a cottage on a cliff not far away, overlooking the Nubble lighthouse.  Apart from the amazing view, it had wonderful grounds and she looked forward to plenty of visits from her great grandchildren in the future.

Rory was pleased that Jess had started seeing someone special, not long after their wedding. It turned out to be a nurse who had cared for him in the ICU! He bumped into her when he went for a check up and decided to ask her out! Ruby and Jess shared a passion for literature and it wasn't long before it became clear that things were very serious between the couple! Jess bought a house indicating that he had definitely decided to make his home base in York.