13

I started hanging out with Millard more and more. Yet now he's been seemingly ignoring me. I would try to find him only to get a 'he's out' or 'I haven't seen him'. I felt myself falling for him more and more. And now? Now that I've fallen for him he's been avoiding me. I only ever see him at dinner and he only talks to Hugh. Emma has been telling me that he's just being a dumb boy and that he doesn't hate me but I'm not sure. 

Since he's been avoiding me I've been staying in my room for longer. I typically just read or think on ways to get on Millard's good side. Which is what I am doing at the moment. Maybe I should...maybe I should just let him be. He obviously wants nothing to do with me. He was probably just being nice to me since I was new. Yet I swear he liked me, at least a little! I don't know what to think, I feel like crying. Look at me getting all hung up about a guy. I never thought I would and here I am. 

I shouldn't be so sad about something so stupid. I shouldn't let this get me down. Yeah, I'll go make friends with Enoch. I should've done that earlier honestly. He said to not bother him, but I can tell he wants a friend deep down. Or is that just me reaching again? 

I got out of my bed and walked down to the basement. I saw the walls were lined with hearts of all sizes. It made me shudder and the stench of formaldehyde did not sit well with my stomach. It reminds me of that time in high school where we dissected a frog. It was dim since the only light source were a couple dull light bulbs but I still managed to see Enoch at a table working on one of his little clay dolls. 

"I thought we had a deal," He spoke out not looking away from his creation. 

"I-I know but-" He cut me off.

He turned around and glared at me, "Get out."

"I wanted to see your peculiar," I blurted out trying to get some sort of connection with him. 

He just let out a sigh, seeing how I was going to be stubborn about this. He went back to what he was doing, so I walked closer so I could see what that was. I stood next to him as he skillfully made a face. He then opened up the chest cavity and ordered me to get him a mouse heart. So I took my best guess and picked a jar that had tiny hearts in it. He picked one out and put it into the doll. Oh.

The clay figure stood up and looked around. Amazing! I've never seen anything like it! I felt my eyes widen as Enoch whispered something to it and it started to fight another clay doll. 

"That's so cool!" I exclaimed. One of the dolls struck the other in the chest ripping the heart out. The sight of the gore caused me to get queasy but I still found it super fly. Enoch looked at me like I was insane.

"What do you mean?" He asked skeptically.

"I mean that what you can do is amazing!" I exclaimed with a smile. He looked surprised but tried to hide it. 

"You're too happy," He grumbled. "It's annoying."

"Oh, sorry," I sheepishly smiled. "So this is what you do all the time?" 

"For the most part," He shrugged picking up the dolls that became inanimate once more. "When I'm not harvesting hearts." I could tell he was trying to creep me out. He had so many hearts that I'm sure he won't have to for a long time. 

"Could I please stay and watch," I pouted a bit hoping he won't mind.

He glared at me for a couple seconds, thinking over the options, "Fine, but only if you stop your racket and don't touch anything." I nodded my head and pulled up a stool to sit on. We sat their in silence that was somewhat peaceful...if watching a full blown doll war was peaceful. Enoch seemed to warm up to me as he seemed more relaxed as the time went on. 

Then the sound of footsteps were heard. I looked behind me to see...nothing. Wait is that Millard? I felt my heart flutter and shatter at the same time. I'm happy to see him yet I'm sad that he probably doesn't want to see me. 

"Oh," I heard him mutter.

"What do you want," Enoch asked coldly, his gaze meeting mine for a second before going back to his dolls. 

"The bird wants to see you Enoch," Millard said dryly. 

"Gah, what does she want this time?" Enoch grumbled to himself standing up. I stood up as well going to do my own thing but I was stopped by Millard grabbing my wrist gently. 

"What were you doing with Enoch?" He asked somewhat harshly.

"I was just hanging out with him," I replied in confusion. Why was Millard so angry?

"I wouldn't if I were you," He grumbled. "He's no good." I started to feel angry, who does he think he is? 

"He isn't as bad as everyone was telling me," I argued. "He wasn't the most nice, but he isn't that mean either."

"What, you have a crush on him?!" Millard shouted. He let out a huff and walked away, since he let go of me and I heard him stomp away. What the hell just happened? Why does Millard care so much? Wait why would he care so much?

Was Millard jealous?