6

Ashton and Iroh followed the light tracks of the ostrich horse continuously. They'd only stop for lunch and at night to fuel themselves for the days ahead. This was a hard comprise between the two travelers as the princess opted to "drag Zuko's ass back and challenge him to the Agni Kai of the century.", but through much arguing the girl surrendered knowing that any attempt to drag her brother back was pointless. Even so, Iroh wanted to follow his nephew and Ashton followed, wishing to protect her brother as long as she could before she had to leave him. 

The constant walking gave the grey eyed girl time to think. Something she had tried her best to avoid through the past few weeks. She often found herself longing for the warmth of her nation. She missed how bright and beautiful the sunset over the waters of ember island and feeding the turtle ducks in her mothers garden. She thought of her sister and how alone she must feel. Though Azula hated her twin, Ashton loved her. She worried about her. For years she had tried to redirect their fathers rage onto herself instead of the amber eyed beauty, but now no one stood in between them. She thought of times much happier than they are now, a time where they thrived in obliviousness. 

Azula and Ty Lee were doing flips in the courtyard when Ashton, Zuko, and their mother walked by. Mai, who hadn't been paying much attention to the two girls in front of her, caught sight of the prince and her cheeks flushed a bright red at the thought of even interacting with him. Azula, always alarmingly observant, noticed her flustered expression and followed the girls gaze to her brother. Smirking she leaned over and whispered in her play mates ear, "Watch this.". She raced over to the trio yelling after Ursa hurriedly "Mom, can you make them play with us? We need equal players so we czna play a game!". Ashton's eyebrows knit together and she stared at her sister in surprise at how stupid she was "That wouldn't make it equ-". 

"I am NOT cartwheeling." Zuko interrupted, leaning over the railing and glaring at his least favorite sister. 

Azula rolled her eyes "You wont have to. Cartwheeling isnt a game, Dumb Dumb." she stated flatly turning to Ashton with begging eyes. 

"I don't care!! I don't want to play with you!" Zuko yelled back, already done with Azulas game. Ashton sighed and Placed a hand on here brothers shoulder, Zuko jerked his head in her direction. Ashton smiled reassuringly, his face softened. "I think itd be fun, Zuzu, we are after all siblings, we need to bond. Come play, at least just this once." .  

"Exactly!! It's important for us to spend time together! Dont you think so, Mom?" Azula added, happy that her sister caved into her plan. Ashton saw Ty Lee and smiled brightly climbing over the fencing and running up to her. Ursa placed her hands on Zukos shoulders "Yes, darling. It's a good idea to play with your sister." she ruffled his hair and pushed him towards where the girls were. 

Ashton and Ty Lee werent paying much attention the others as they laid on their backs and stared at the clouds. Discussing boys, Ashtons birthday that was coming up, Ty lees family, and the ditsy girls favorite subject, Zuko. As she went on and on about how much she adored him, the princess gagged louder and louder. It wasnt until Ashton heard a splash did the girls stop their gossiping. Ashton looked at her brother horrified to find him in the fountain next to Mai. 

Zuko got up and Stomped towards the nearest entrance to the palace, Ashton and Ty Lee not far behind. They caught up to him as he yelled "Girls are crazy!!!" and the friends shared a look and fell into a fit of giggles.

Ashton sighed. Darkness now consumed the air around them and she went to light the fire, she stared intently at the flames. Regret of agreeing to Yue's commands flooding her thoughts. Iroh sat on the opposite side of the fire, brewing his evening tea and glancing over at his niece not so subtly, but she wouldn't notice. Her eyes reflected the flames before her and her chin rested perfectly between her thumb and pointer finger.