Chapter 29

We had heard about Jeb being found dead, so Dean and I went to the performance place, we stood there watching as Jeb was rolled out on the cart.

"Hey." I heard Sam's voice say, I turned my head as he walked over to us quickly.

"Maid found Jeb hanging from the ceiling fan. Police think it was a suicide. I beg to differ. Pulled a little sleight of hand myself." Dean explained showing the card that he had found.

"On Dexter's body?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah, so I'm thinking if this spell is a death transference, then the cards work like black-magic targets." I explain to them.

"Any connection between the victims?"

"Jeb was a total douche bag to Jay yesterday." Dean answered.

"What about the first Vic? Uh, Vance?"

"Well, while Dean was pulling his own magic trick, I asked around. Apparently, Vance was heckling Jay at the bar the day he was killed." I explained to them.

"Okay, so Jay sneaks a card into Vance's pocket, does the table of death..." Sam begins and starts to walk away from the crowd with us next to him.

"And Vance takes 10 swords to the chest." Dean finishes off.

"Then Jay slips a noose and Jeb doesn't. Hell of a trick."

"Yeah, I think it's time we had a little chat with Jay. Any luck tailing him?" I questioned crossing my arms over my chest.

"He slipped me." Sam said.

"He's a 60-year-old." Dean said in disbelief.

"He's a magician." Sam counters. I sighed quietly, okay, so first thing first, we need to find Jay.

      So we were finally able to track Jay back down and follow him to his hotel room, all three of us had our guns pulled and ready to fire at any given moment. Dean kicked the door down after making sure the coast was clear.

"Up against the wall!" Dean yelled, we had our guns drawn up and ready to shoot when needed.

"God, who are you? What do you want?" Jay questioned us.

"Now!" I yelled at him.

"We know what you've been up to." Sam commented.

"You been working some real bad mojo to jump-start your act." Dean added on.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about." Jay said, he seemed pretty confused, but I couldn't tell if he was telling the truth or just acting.

"Look, we know you put a spell on those tarot cards." Sam explained to him.

"Messing with real magic?" Dena questioned.

"'Real magic?' Come on, there's no such thing as real magic." Jay said.

"Oh, is that so?" Dean questioned farther.

"Yeah, believe me. I've been around this stuff my whole life. It's all just-- It's-- It's illusions. It's tricks. It-- It's all fake." When Jay went to take a step forward, Sam and Dean took a step forward to keep him in his place.

"Jeb Dexter strung up-- was that just an illusion?" Dean questioned.

"What? Something happened to Jeb?"

"He was found hanged in his room." Sam explained.

"Right after you slipped the noose last night." Dean added everything we told Jay, he just looked more and more confused about what was going on.