Strange Encounter

It had only been a few days and already Jackie was losing his mind.

He had already watched way too much TV than he was used to and when he did, all he wanted to watch was the news.

Unfortunately, of course there was crime and the mention of his sudden disappearance at first. He had called Abe to let him know of his condition but that was that.

A few days later at nearly a week and Jackie noticed something.

The crime rate stayed the same.

. . . . 

Either he had made the difference . . .. . . OR. . . .

His interference as a vigilante never mattered.

Jackie didn't like thinking about it but the more he did, the more it made sense.

How could he possibly make any difference in a huge city like this? Of course he had helped put away plenty of bad people but eventually they'd either get bailed out or get out of jail sooner or later on parole. 

What was the difference?

He had voiced this once to Henrik but the doctor merely tried telling him he was wrong.

But was the doctor right? How would HE know that he's making any difference?

And when he tried talking to Chase the other night, that was just like talking to a blank wall.

He had brought his kids over and they all chilled out on Jackie's couch watching movies Sammy and Kallie brought with them. They thought watching Robin Hood, Big Hero 6 and The Incredibles would help cheer him up.

But really it only made things worse.

Now he just felt even more like a glorified city trophy.

The police seemed to be doing the job just fine without him.

What use did he have?

Of course he just smiled with the kids and kept these thoughts to himself. 

But he wished Chase would actually listen to him.

Once the kids had fallen asleep, Jackie tried again.

"Dude, I don't know why it's bothering you so much" Chase had snorted, "Just means you can have more time to yourself, bro.  What's the deal?"

'What's the deal?' Jackie sighed, pouring himself a glass of water, 'Why did I think asking him was a good decision? But I at least thought even Henrik might understand. But I was wrong there, too'

Taking a seat on the edge of his couch in front of the TV again, Jackie just felt so. . . . .

Useless.

He stared at the water in his glass and gave a heavy sigh.

'Something just doesn't feel right. Like something's missing. And I still don't understand Anti's motive. Why did he help me out? Did he think he owed me or something?'

But then that would mean Anti wasn't completely a villain. . . . . Right?

All this thinking was giving him a headache.

Suddenly a commercial popped up on the TV advertising some local bar. The different drinks made Jackie's throat dry. He wasn't like Chase where he could just drink until he passed out. But a beer really did sound good to him right now.