Stealth #IronStrange

A/N this was inspired by another author -  toastyboi_ - as well as Stephen's design in the comics

A/N this was inspired by another author -  toastyboi_ - as well as Stephen's design in the comics. The doodle above is mine - sort of like a prompt. I haven't read the comics (yes, I'm sorry, I want to), so this won't be completely accurate. I just wanted to write something, so here...

----------------

It was a quiet afternoon in the Sanctum. Well, about as quiet as you can get when you're on the watch for interdimensional threats. Stephen had gotten little sleep lately due to the pain in his hands - it had flared up recently due to stress - so he was trying to ignore it and catch up on some rest while meditating. Wong was in the library reading. He was slightly on edge though. Every so often Stephen's astral form would pass him to collect a new book, and every time he jumped. Stephen had started noticing too, and would creep up just as Wong was getting back into his book to poke him. 9 Times out of 10 he didn't react, just giving a shiver, but the 1 time out of 10 he would give off a shriek made the waiting and watching completely worth it.

They both shrieked, however, when out of nowhere the phone rang. Waking up, Stephen answered it, ignoring Wong's snickering in the background, he supposed it was karma.

"Hey Stephen."

Great. It's Cap.

"Hi Steve, what can I do for you today?" Stephen said, putting on his best smarmy arse-kissing voice.

"We have discovered a new threat, and we aren't entirely sure what they are or where they come from. If you have some time, could you pop over and have a look?"

Translation: we've discovered a new threat. It's scared the shit out of me. We don't know how to handle it. Could you, pretty please, chuck it back where it came from. This will be good.

"Sure, Steve, I'll be over in a few hours."

"Uh huh... Anytime sooner... would also be... great."

There it is. The closest I'll get to getting him to say he's scared. It's good enough for me though. I can just picture his face turning a nice shade of red.

"Well, I guess, I could always be there a bit earlier..." Stephen said in a sickly sweet voice.

"Right." Steve hung up. He hated that wizard. Arrogant little arsehole.

Stephen replaced the receiver with a satisfied smirk.

"I take it that was Steve." Wong said it as more of a statement than a question.

Stephen just grinned and went up to get his robes. A dramatic enterance was always important. Especially if it meant belittling Captain America. If there was a contest between who could be the most extra... Stephen would win every time.

"I get he's a selfrighteous nitwit, but you aren't exactly being the bigger person here," Wong called after him.

Yes, but being a small person is so much more fun.