Ch 1 Annabeth

Breakfast the following day was interesting, a large person came in and sat at the staff table. When Draco saw this, he spit out all of his orange juice.

"Who is that?" I asked and Draco looked over to me

"His name is Hagrid, he is the grounds keeper and now that he's bacl he will likely take over Grubbly-Plank's lessons." So this was the person Harry kept asking about. I wonder what his lessons would be like. Draco was horrified and kept mumbling about dieing. Finally the day of Hagrid's class rolled around. Draco was shaking, and refused to get out of bed. I had to literally drag him to the cabin where we always met. He did not present a reassuring sight; the bruises that had been purple on Saturday night were now tinged with green and yellow and some of his cuts still seemed to be bleeding. I took a step back, whatever had created that womb was serious.

"We're workin' in here today!" Hagrid called happily to the approaching students, jerking his head back at the dark trees behind him. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark. . . ."

"What prefers the dark?" Draco asked, petrified. "What did he say prefers the dark — did you hear?" I shook my head

"No idea," I said, "You know him more than I do," I pointed out. That seemed to make him even more scared. I chuckled lightly and patted his arm, "It'll be fine,"

"Ready?" said Hagrid happily, looking around at the class. "Right, well, I've bin savin' a trip inter the forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare, I reckon I'm probably the on'y person in Britain who's managed ter train 'em —"

"And you're sure they're trained, are you?" said Draco, "Only it wouldn't be the first time you'd brought wild stuff to class, would it?" The Slytherins murmured agreement and a few Gryffindors looked as though they thought Malfoy had a fair point too.

" 'Course they're trained," said Hagrid, scowling and hoisting the dead cow a little higher on his shoulder.

"So what happened to your face, then?" demanded Malfoy.

"Mind yer own business!" said Hagrid, angrily. "Now if yeh've finished askin' stupid questions, follow me!" He turned and strode straight into the forest, I jogged to catch up with him, we were far enough ahead that I could talk comfortably without getting overheard.

"I'm Percy," I said sticking out a hand.

"Hagrid, nice to meet yeh," He said shaking it, "Dumbledore's told me about yeh er condition," He said I nodded, "If yeh need to leave class for er anything, that's fine. There are a lot of creatures here so be careful not to hurt one of mine," He said I nodded

"Harry, Hermione and Ron really care about you," I said changing the subject

"Yeh, er, their nice kids," He said,

"Umbridge is busting anyone who seems to close to Dumbledore," I said

"Now yeh're sounding like Hermione," Hagrid chuckled,

"Good, so they warned you that if she sees a wisp of loyalty to Dumbledore, real or not, she has the power to sack you," I said Hagrid stumbled a bit.

"Yeh, er," He stuttered I put a hand on his arm

"It'll be fine, so long as you keep your cool, she will exploit everything she can." I left him to go back to Draco, who was whimpering softly. When we stopped, Hagrid deposited his half cow with a grunt on the ground, stepped back, and turned to face his class again, most of whom were creeping toward him from tree to tree, peering around nervously as though expecting to be set upon at any moment.