CHAPTER FIFTY

Quote of the day : Love always prevail they say, even above lies.

    The smile on his face couldn't be wiped out by anything now, Greg was sure of that, he had everything he ever wanted. He opened the door to Ashley's apartment with a dance, yeah, he was that happy, he was finally going to do it. For over a week now he's being trying to plan it well, hiding it from Ashley and getting Chloe not to spill the beans, which was quite hard. He went straight into her room knowing she would definitely be dressing.

    He didn't find her in her room and for a little while he panicked not until he heard the water running in the bathroom.

     "Greg, is that you?" He heard her ask from the bathroom. He smiled at hearing her voice again, he thought of joining her in the bathroom, but he knew it would only delay them, and he was definitely not in need of a bath.

   "Yes, mi amor," he answered sitting on her bed.

  "Can you help me pick out a clothe?" Once he heard her ask this he got to his feet and went over to her closet. He started rummaging through it, trying to see what fits.

    "Do I pick out underwear too?" The stupid perversive side of him asked, damn, he couldn't stop himself from smirking.

     "Yes please," she answered, and was he elated? Oh yes he was.

  Greg decided he would pick out the underwear first. He started pulling out several drawers open trying to figure out which contained her underwear. He pulled out a particular drawer that seemed empty and he pushed it back in, only to pull it out again to be sure he saw right. And he still saw it lying there, alone in the drawer.

      He brought out the object that as been a part of his ordeals for a while now, he looked at it intensely. He could tell it was the same mask, the one that girl wore two years ago, but why will Ashley have it in her possession? It could end up been a totally different mask that she just possess for carnivals, but this mask was not different. It was the first of its kind he had seen, it was made with leather, and it had three holes, two for the eyes, and one for the nose. He was damn sure it was the same mask. It was a plain but devilish mask. 

   Greg stood up with the mask still in hand, several thoughts began to play on his mind. He thought about Ashley's auburn hair, her hazel eyes, and they were exactly like that of the girl. It has to be a coincidence he was sure, definitely it wasn't the same mask, yes it wasn't. Just because they have the same color of hair and eyes doesn't mean they are one and the same person, right? Moreover the girl had curls, Ashley doesn't have curls, yeah, it wasn't her.

   He kept on telling himself it wasn't her until he heard the bathroom door open, he turned swiftly to face her with conflicted emotions. Ashley dropped the towel that she was using to clean her hair immediately seeing him, her eyes was fixated on the mask in his hand. He watched as shock, fear, and guilt pass across her face. It couldn't be, could it? Her hair was falling in soft curls around her probably because it was still wet, then he remembered that night in Spain, he had noticed how the base of her hair were curled up. It had looked like she forced them into been straight. Fear and disbelief gripped him, he stepped towards her, but she stepped back.

    Realization began to set in that maybe it could be her. He moved towards her again, but this time she didn't move back, she had a look of resignation on her face, maybe she had given up. Getting to her front he placed the black mask on her face and gasped at what he was staring at. The resemblance was uncanny, the hair, the eyes, only a blind man would say he couldn't see it, but he refused to accept it. She couldn't be the one, that girl had died that night, Humphrey said so. It couldn't be his Ashley, no never, but then she did what shocked him.