CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

Quote of the day : We're running away from the haunting past, but it is long gone by, still yet it resurrects, oh Ashley what are you gonna do now.

    Walking into the 'Marshall enterprises' that monday morning felt like the hardest thing she has had to do in her twenty three years of living.  Her heart clenched in her chest as she walked with caution. She was taking her time, she seemed to be taking her time with everything today. She had asked Chloe to go on to work without her, she even rejected Greg's offer to drive her to work, because she was taking her time before seeing him.

     It had to be today, she had to do it today, it is either today, or never. She couldn't waste anymore time again.

    She entered the elevator that was surprisingly free that day, the letter in her hand burning holes through her skin. Once she got to her floor, her beating heart picked up its pace, she stood in front of Greg's office, giving herself mental back up before she enters his office, to give him the news she was about to.

      "Ashley," she heard Greg call her name calmly from inside. She looked about trying to find out how he knew she was there, she eventually opened the door. Getting in she saw Greg seated behind his desk, busy as usual.

   And as usual he was looking very handsome in a black suit and white inner shirt, his hair wasn't slicked back today, it happened to tussle lightly on his head, with a strand falling into his right eye.

     "Morning, Mr Marshall," she said with a hard tone which had Greg flinching. He wasn't the only one affected by her tone of voice, she was also, she hadn't expected it to be this hard.

      "Morning, Ashley," Greg said with a tight smile, and surprisingly he didn't make any remarks about her calling him 'Mr Marshall,' he must have sensed that her mood wasn't as light as it used to be.

     She dropped the poisonous letter on his desk, glad to be finally rid of it. Greg stared at her with a questioning gaze in his eyes, she gave him a forced smile and spoke. "Its for you, Mr Marshall."

    "Okay..." Greg said picking up the  letter. She saw a look of fear flash in his eyes, but it soon vanished. He opened the letter cautiously, once he had opened it and read what was in it, he looked up at her with those green eyes of his filled with questions. "Is anything the matter Ashley?"

     "No, Mr Marshall," she said.

    "Why have you been going on and on about 'Mr Marshall?' and why the cold voice...?" he asked fear seeping into his voice now. "And why do you want to resign?"

      "I just need a break from all this company work, that's it," she lied.

     "So, its not because of me?" Greg asked with an hopeful voice.

     "No..." she said.

    "Wow, that is better," he said with a relived voice. He smiled lovingly at her and stood up. He walked over to her, she found herself fighting the urge to step back as he came closer. "Well if it was before I would have definitely disagreed, but fortunately for you, you are my girlfriend now, so I know you are never leaving me even if you leave work. So I'm going to let you go, even if getting another secretary is going to be a pain, but good news I have my Ashley to always look forward to."

    He raised her chin up bending in for a kiss, all she wanted was to give in to his kiss, but she knew she couldn't, not anymore. So she turned her face aside not missing the hurt look that flashed in Greg's eyes.

   "There is another thing I would like to let you know," she said with a quiet voice. Her voice was almost sad, but she tried hard to hide the hurt she was feeling. "I want to put an end to this relationship between us."