Chapter Nine

Stella's POV

"Thanks for having me round, Mr and Mrs Jackson. Bye!" I say hastily.

I had crept out of Storm's room when she had her back turned because I had almost blown my cover. Now, she will be even more suspicious so I don't want her to catch up with me. I notice a puzzled expression on Storm's older sister, River's face and Mrs Jackson looks like she's about to say something to me but I dash out the door before she has a chance.

Just in case Storm's chasing me, I continue to run to the gate, which is still damp from the rain from earlier, and unlock it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I run out of breath and my legs start aching, I slow down to a walk. Over my shoulder, I've checked a million times if Storm was following me but she was nowhere to be seen. However, I still have a bad feeling at the pit of my stomach. Maybe that's because someone your age shouldn't be out on your own while it's getting darker, a voice in my head tells me.

Listening to my conscience, I make my way to the nearest bus stop, hoping that my bus stops here. I sigh in relief as I read the bus times. Just a couple of minutes until it arrives! I search my blazer pockets for my purse.

Nothing. I must have left it in my school bag accidentally. I check it. Nothing. Oh no! I must have dropped my purse somewhere! I pull out my phone and call Kate. It takes her long to answer.

"HELLO?" Kate yells over the shouting and screaming in the background.

"Hi, Kate. I did some more of my project with my partner and I'm ready to go home but I think I dropped my purse," I explain.

"OH DEAR! I'M AFRAID YOU'LL HAVE TO WALK, STELLA! THE CAR BROKE DOWN WHEN HARRY WAS COMING BACK FROM WORK SO IT'S STILL GETTING FIXED!" Kate shouts so loud that my eardrums are hurting," OH NO! JAKE'S STOLEN EVIE'S DOLL AGAIN BUT THIS TIME HE ACCIDENTALLY BROKE IT! GOT TO GO SORT IT OUT! SEE YOU!"

With that, Kate hangs up on me before I could respond. If I hadn't lost my purse, I would be on a warm bus home, not walking there while having the feeling as if I'm being watched...

My frozen fingers just about manage to make my knock on the door audible. It's so cold that I can see my breath as I sigh, grateful that I succeeded in arriving home safe and not running into any dodgy people you find at this time. After what seems like an eternity, Harry unlocked the door to let me in. In the dim light, his eyebags and paleness ware more prominent and having him in front of my eyes is making me feel sorry for both him and Kate.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry we couldn't pick you up," Harry apologises.

I think I'm the one who should be sorry! You had to deal with your two foster kids fighting and I had to come up with my silly business of losing my purse. I don't say any of that but I must have given him a look that says it because Harry chuckles.

"Do I look that tired?" he asks.

I nod.

"Well, maybe I can head off early after dinner. Jake and Evie argued so much that they tired themselves out! They're having a nap now!" Harry exclaims.

I follow Harry in and the mouth-watering smell of fried rice hits me. I join him and Josh at the table and not long after, Kate strides into the room, proudly holding the pot which contains our dinner.

"I felt bad after you called, Stella! And I thought because we're all tired, we deserve a nice meal! Enjoy!" Kate briefly explains before we tuck in.

However, it is interrupted by a strong knock on the door.