Chapter Eleven- 'Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.'

"Had an early night, didn't you yesterday?" Mum asks, opening the curtains.

The sudden, unexpected source of bright light blinds me.

"Yeah. Was tired," I mutter before turning the other way, my back to the window.

"River was worried about you! She said you didn't seem yourself! I can't help to agree with her! Going to bed early is kind of strange for you, Storm!" Mum continues, ignoring the fact that I don't look like I'm paying the littlest of attention.

My older sister and parents are so hypocritical! They always lecture me on how I should always go to bed early because sleep is important for your health. Now that I've actually obeyed them, they think that something's wrong!

"Well, tell River that she should make up her mind, whether she wants me to go to bad early or not!" I mumble, spite burning on the tip of my tongue.

"Your sister is allowed to worry about you, isn't she?" Mum questions.

Even though, the tone she's using implies that she doesn't want an answer, I say," No, she isn't!"

Mum mutters something about me being a hopeless case before exiting the room.

"Your dad and I are going to work, now! See you later, Storm! Have a good day!" she tells me, quickly adding," Be nice to your sister!"

"I'm always nice to her!" I insist.

"Debatable!" Mum murmurs under her breath, loud enough for me to hear.

I stick my tongue out at the back of her head and silently chuckle. Grow up, Storm! Removing my duvet, the morning chill sends shivers down my spine; I need a warm shower! I slip my (currently) warm feet into my comfy slippers, grab my towel and enter the bathroom, shutting myself in.

"Is that you, Storm?" the traitor I have for a sister calls out from downstairs after hearing the bathroom door lock.

Still seething with hurt from the discovery of being betrayed, I don't respond while changing out of my pyjamas and hopping into the shower. The warm water is so relaxing that it leaves me reluctant to turn it off but I remember that if I don't hurry up, I might miss my bus and I certainly don't want River to drop me off today. Practically jumping out of the bathtub, I dry my wet feet with my towel as fast as I can and I ignore that they're still a bit damp when they enter my slippers. Unlocking the door, I dart across the landing, into my bedroom.

Hastily, I struggle into my uniform and school shoes. Grabbing my hairbrush, I brush my hair and spray it with a whiff of hairspray before tying it into a messy bun. I rapidly apply the tiniest bit of makeup and peer at my reflection in the mirror: today's look is acceptable. Checking through my school bag, which was in its usual place: slumped by my door, I found my pencil case, my textbooks/exercise books, my ill-treated copy of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, bottles of lotions and make up and open packets of chewing gum.

Slinging my rucksack onto my shoulder, I dash towards the staircase and slide down the banisters because I'm never allowed to when my parents are home and it's just so much more fun and fast. Unfortunately, an audible screeching sound was created as my bottom skated down the handrail; River now knew that I was downstairs, which ruined my plan of tip toeing out of the house.

"Storm! What have Mum and Dad told you about sliding down the banisters!" my older sister reprimands me and after a few footsteps, she comes into view, frowning.

What is wrong with River, lately? First, she chatted to Mum and Dad that 'she was worried about me'. Now, she's telling me off for something she always does and usually defends me for when our parents are not impressed.