Epilogue

Stella's POV

Parties and I usually don't belong in the same sentence because just as I would start to finally relax and enjoy myself...BAM! That's when everything would go completely wrong and the night is ruined. Just like at the party Kate forced me to attend at the start of the school year where my past yet again returned to haunt me. Therefore, when Kate approached me at the beginning of the Christmas holidays with the idea of hosting a New Year's Eve party, I was very adamant that it was going to be a failure.

"You know, Kate, I'm not a party animal. Why can't we celebrate New Year's Eve as a family?" I plead, the word 'family' slipping off my tongue without giving it a second thought. Although I was irritated about the party suggestion(because once Kate gets something into her head, it doesn't leave!) I smiled at the sign of the progress I'm making: a few months ago, I would have never dreamt that I would call my foster parents and siblings my family after just losing the two most important people in my life. Life is really full of surprises!

"If you don't like the idea, then, why are you beaming?" Kate picks up on my pleasant facial expression so I change it to a sour one.

"Happy, now?" I ask sarcastically.

"No because I need you to invite Storm and her family along with...what's the name of the boy who came to see you?" She slaps her forehead whilst trying to remember.

"Noah and no, I won't invite either of them because there'll be no party."

"What's with the look in your eyes?" Kate tilts her head to one side as if she's a detective attempting to solve a mystery.

"What look?" I question, confused on where this new topic has sprung up from.

"You had a dreamy look in your eyes when you said his name," she smirks as if she knows something I don't want her to know.

Does she know? What does she know? Why am I freaking out like this?

"No, I didn't," I insist but I can feel my cheeks turning a shade of scarlet.

Not now!

"Your cheeks are saying something completely different!" Kate points out, having too much fun with this scenario.

"You won't be laughing when none of the guests turn up at the party."

"You won't be laughing when you're stuck at a party with nobody else to talk to but the kids, Harry, Frida and I."

"Wait, hold on a second, you never said that you're inviting Frida!" I whine.

"Invited. So I suggest you get you phone out pronto and start texting Noah and Storm."

Following her instructions, I tap on Storm's name and is about to ask her about the party when another thought hits me.

"Wait, if Storm's family is invited does that mean...River is included?" I question, panic filling me at the possibility of being at the same party as Storm's older sister.

Yes, there's less tension between us two since River sent an apology letter, which seemed mostly sincere, but I definitely wouldn't be able to handle the uneasiness she would bring to the party. See, the party is in a couple weeks and the night has already been ruined. Also, there's Storm's parents...most of what I have heard from their daughter is they're not the most likeable people - in the nicest way to put it! However, apparently, they are changing for the better since the whole 'Me and River' fiasco.

According to Storm, her parents have been insensitive for years. It will take a long time for them to leave the people they used to be for good.

Why do I have to invite her family? Why can't I just invite Storm? We've only started getting back on track with our friendship and there's already tension.